• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

France - 2024 (1 Viewer)

If you were able to get the ferry, would taking the Portsmouth to Bilbao ferry help cut out the long drive through France? You'd be quite close to the border and the Pyrenees from Bilbao so that might be do-able. I've not done this myself, but just looking at the map. It looks like these ferries offer you a choice of how to take a dog on with you, including in your car (which you've ruled out), shipboard kennels and shipboard pet cabins. Might be an option?

Cheers John. A cabin could be an option. He gets very stressed on the ferry. I’m going to look at what accommodation is available in the La Brenna region. It is very much a family holiday so I have to book something we’ll all like.

Rich

Hi all,

Appreciate this thread...my wife and I are headed to France in a month - will be staying in the Cotswolds for a week and then heading to the Saumur area (just east of it) for a week, followed by Paris. I have picked up both the Pelagic and Arlequin guides.

Curious if anyone knows of local bird orgs that might have organized birding, akin to RSPB or Audubon.

Many thanks!

I would go for the Alps with a stop for the night to break up the journey. Apart from anything else, the height reduces the temperature to a more reasonable level. I've always found driving a UK car in Europe much less stressful than I imagined before I tried it. It really isn't much of an issue. The toll roads can be quite expensive but they are usually less busy than UK roads. Do take care with speed cameras: I managed to get two tickets in a four week trip compared to one in my life in the UK. There are several site guides available for France. This is probably the best

Tbh, as there is no chance of a new birds for me, I just enjoy chosing walks from maps and seeing what I see.

Hi

(I'm unsure if you meant summer 2023 or 24. If you meant 2023 then I might be too late.)
On Le Shuttle you could try and book as a high vehicle. The carriages are the same width but the ceiling hight is a lot higher. It definitely makes it feel like there is more space.

For the past 13 years we have been traveling to and from France on Le Shuttle simply because it means we can stay in the car with the dog. However our dog died a few weeks ago and the other day I went to book for our September trip. As the dog is not an issue anymore I checked the cost of the tunnel and the ferry. Le shuttle wanted £350 return for a large vehicle and two adults DFDS were £180. Well you can guess who we are traveling with.

Alex

Hi

(I'm unsure if you meant summer 2023 or 24. If you meant 2023 then I might be too late.)
On Le Shuttle you could try and book as a high vehicle. The carriages are the same width but the ceiling hight is a lot higher. It definitely makes it feel like there is more space.

For the past 13 years we have been traveling to and from France on Le Shuttle simply because it means we can stay in the car with the dog. However our dog died a few weeks ago and the other day I went to book for our September trip. As the dog is not an issue anymore I checked the cost of the tunnel and the ferry. Le shuttle wanted £350 return for a large vehicle and two adults DFDS were £180. Well you can guess who we are traveling with.

Alex
Thanks Alex. Summer of 2024 we’re looking at. And veering more towards La Brenna now with the suggestions above.

I think I’m just going to have to man up with the shuttle. Would only do it for the dog. Which leads me to I’m really sorry for your loss. They are such a part of the family. A mate messaged me this morning to say they’d lost theirs yesterday😥

I’m working on lowering my cholesterol so I can spend 10 days eating cheese btw 😂

Rich

I do like Steve’s suggestion of the Alps though as well.
I have been to La Brenne and Dordogne in the European summer but I really did find it unbearably hot - and I'm someone who's spent a lot of time in the tropics - the height does help. I know heat is a real issue for dogs too. And don't think of a stop for the night on the way down as a 'wasted' night: there are so many beautiful towns/villages in France that you can have a very pleasant few hours wandering around where you stay.

I'm don't know what your French is like but speaking some will mean people are much more friendly.

Steve

Last edited:
Rich, if you’re going to be eating our cheese for 10 days in 2024 you should’ve started on your cholesterol reducing scheme ooh, about 3 years ago! It’s a constant battle for me here in the Alps with our local Reblochon, Chevrotin and various Tomme cheeses;). Another plus point for the Alps in summer of course is that the landscape isn’t burnt to a crisp like most of the country, and on hot days there are plenty of walks mostly in forests to provide shade. We’re dog minding for 10 days and our guest is enjoying the natural swimming pools (see pic).

Attachments

• IMG_3237.jpeg
    IMG_3237.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 9
Another France trip - when in a restaurant, ask if you can have a pichet of wine rather than a bottle. Most places do them and it's usually much cheaper. It took us a couple of trips to discover this.

Cheers both. The only issue we have with an overnight is the mutt. We did it on the way to Outer Hebs. He’s so protective. Barked at everyone walking past/closing the door in the hotel. Almost spent the night in the car with him but he eventually went off. We could all Kip in the car I suppose.

Thanks for the tip on the wine as well.

Rich

Cheers both. The only issue we have with an overnight is the mutt. We did it on the way to Outer Hebs. He’s so protective. Barked at everyone walking past/closing the door in the hotel. Almost spent the night in the car with him but he eventually went off. We could all Kip in the car I suppose.

Thanks for the tip on the wine as well.

Rich
Some campsites now have ‘cabines’, little wooden chalets which might be an option, I think our friends stopped in one with their hound somewhere in the Forêt/Lacs d’orient area as their halfway stop, I can ask them if you want.
Steve is right re a ‘pichet’ but anywhere these days you can just ask for a glass of rouge, blanc or rosé too.

Another France trip - when in a restaurant, ask if you can have a pichet of wine rather than a bottle. Most places do them and it's usually much cheaper. It took us a couple of trips to discover this.

Yes but wine in pichet is usually lower quality than the ones in bottle...but it's true that a bottle of wine in a restaurant in France can be super expensive (sometimes twice the price of the same bottle in a supermarket !)

Last edited:
And restricting yourself to a glass helps you avoid incorrect bird identification of course!
I have heard that wine can be bought by the glass rather than bottle/pitcher in restaurants but it is purely theoretical knowledge. ;-)

I would say that is usually of considerably higher standard that that you get thrown in with El Menu in Spain.

There is some wildlife there too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back