• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

France at Easter or February half holiday (1 Viewer)

davholla

In order to encourage my son with his French I want to take him to France at Easter/Winter bank term.
It will probably be Paris but another city is a possibility.
Any good nature reserves near Paris or if city x is a good alternative feel free to suggest a different city.

Last edited:
I'm writing this partly with my French teacher's hat on, but I'd be tempted to head for the Somme in Picardie, where you could stay in St Valery sur Somme and visit Marquenterre, an excellent nature reserve. It would be far more peaceful than Paris and there would probably be less English spoken.

Dave W

Thanks although as we speak Spanish among ourselves as a family I am not so worried about people talking English to us.

Have you thought about Normandy and Brittany? Both have excellent nature reserves, and although the areas around the D-Day landing beaches are a bit more tourist oriented, your son will be able to practice his French with no problems. Broceliande in Brittany is another option. Flights to and from Normandy are a bit scarce around winter, but they start up again in April. Brittany Ferries sails from Portsmouth to Caen, St Malo and Cherbourg, although it is a six hour journey.

Have you thought about Normandy and Brittany? Both have excellent nature reserves, and although the areas around the D-Day landing beaches are a bit more tourist oriented, your son will be able to practice his French with no problems. Broceliande in Brittany is another option. Flights to and from Normandy are a bit scarce around winter, but they start up again in April. Brittany Ferries sails from Portsmouth to Caen, St Malo and Cherbourg, although it is a six hour journey.

Thanks that is an idea. However I am now considering for climate reasons Marseille in October half term.
Does anyone know what is like around there?

Don't blame you, Normandy isn't exactly tropical at any time of year! ;)

Marseille should still be reasonably warmish in October, but i'd take a jumper or two just in case. It depends also on whereabouts you go - the higher you climb, the colder it could be. Meteo.fr is the best way to find out what the weather will be like. As for the area, it's not one that i'm familiar with, i spend time in Normandy and the Aude myself. Fatbirder's site has some good links on what to see in various regions around France though: http://fatbirder.com/links_geo/europe/france.html

Quick edit to add: Have you considered the Narbonne? Great birdwatching there, plus you can get flights to Beziers and Carcassonne from the UK throughout the year.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back