• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fraser's Hill - October 2007 (1 Viewer)

Mark:-)

I'm thinking about spending the last week of October travelling to Malaysia and doing the forests around Fraser's Hill and the Gap. I'm trying to get as much up-to-date gen as possible. As I will be taking my wife, I want to make sure I get everything in order before making arrangements.

Can anyone help with the following info?:

1. What is the weather like at the end of October in this area?

2. Where are the best (more up-market - remember, wife is in tow!) places to stay? And is the food any good? Swimming pool a definite bonus in case wife gets bored.

3. Cost of taxi from KL Airport to Gap/Fraser's Hill. Also can you get taxis from F/Hill back to KL?

4. What's the Gap Resthouse like for food and lodging? I know it's the only place at the Gap. Would I need to pre-book?

5. how easy is it to get around the Fraser's Hill area? Do you need to be based in a particular area of town, or is it smaller than it looks? How long does it take, for example to walk the Telecom loop?

6. are the trails still passable or is birding restricted to the roads?

Would especially love to hear from anyone who's done this area in the last couple of years.

Cheers

Mark

I'm thinking about spending the last week of October travelling to Malaysia and doing the forests around Fraser's Hill and the Gap. I'm trying to get as much up-to-date gen as possible. As I will be taking my wife, I want to make sure I get everything in order before making arrangements.

Can anyone help with the following info?:

1. What is the weather like at the end of October in this area?

2. Where are the best (more up-market - remember, wife is in tow!) places to stay? And is the food any good? Swimming pool a definite bonus in case wife gets bored.

3. Cost of taxi from KL Airport to Gap/Fraser's Hill. Also can you get taxis from F/Hill back to KL?

4. What's the Gap Resthouse like for food and lodging? I know it's the only place at the Gap. Would I need to pre-book?

5. how easy is it to get around the Fraser's Hill area? Do you need to be based in a particular area of town, or is it smaller than it looks? How long does it take, for example to walk the Telecom loop?

6. are the trails still passable or is birding restricted to the roads?

Would especially love to hear from anyone who's done this area in the last couple of years.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

Been to FH a few times, last was June 2006. Answering what I know:

1) Your going during one of the wettest months. I've not been later in the year, but even when I was there often it rained (hard) late afternoon/evening. Warm during the day with cool evenings - need a light sweater, particularly if it rains. Though with climate change who knows.
2) The Shazhan is 3* and in the centre. It's fine if a bit musty (remember its humid up there). Food quite good and reasonable. There are some posher places, but few with pools from what I remember (just there for the birding). Alternatively you could take a flat at the Silverpark resort. We did that once and it was good. Look at www.pinganchorage.com.my for accommodation. I've used them a few times in Malaysia and they seem the cheapest travel agent.
3) Think we paid about 25 quid from KL to FH and it's about a tenner to KL from KLIA. If you go to the taxi kiosk at the airport you'll get a fixed rate. Returning - a taxi can be arranged through the FH Development office. Why not hire a car? It's dead easy driving in Malaysia and they drive on the left. Also helps getting around between the Gap and FH as it's a 5 km walk each time.
4) The Gap Resthouse has really gone downhill. It closed for a year or so then reopened early 2006 as a shadow of it's former self. Not that it was high class before. It's a real shame because it is a great building in a super location.
5) It's more a village than a town. The only real distance is between the Gap and FH. Telegraph loop birding takes a couple of hours.
6) Trails are not well managed. The best trail (Bishop's) was impassable for a while, but I read a recent trip report where someone had been along it, so not sure).

btw - I think your wife will get bored if your there for more than 4 days. Not much other than birding.

John

Last edited:
John,

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I'd had a quick look at car hire from the usual suspects - Avis, Hertz, etc and initially found them offering over £400 for a week! A second look has yielded costs of around £125-150 which definitely makes this the preferred mode of getting round.

Bit concerned about the rainfall in October - ca 300mm typical during the month, but if this is only late afternoons and evenings, I could live with that. But a full week trudging round in day-long monsoons with gale-force winds? Hmm, tempting, but I think I'd prefer a week in midsummer in Gloucester!

Can any Malaysian birders give an idea of a "typical" October, weather-wise?

As regards the lack of touristy things to do for the other half - not a problem. She's quite happy to wander round looking at/ trying to photograph mammals and birds, especially pretty ones. Just needs comfortable bed, decent food and a good supply of books in case the humidity (or rain) gets too much. Can quite happily survive for years on end without a shoe shop or clothes boutique. What a woman, eh?

Do you reckon I might be virtually birded out within a few days, or is a week about right?

Cheers

Mark

Mark..it is difficult to say ..in october it rains..but being tropical..rain may come any time of the day..usualy rain increases towards the end of October.and also believe me the back of my house there will be rain and the sun may shing in front..i wouldn t take the weather for sure..but usualy after a shower the bird activity increases.regards..p.m. me if you need any help when you are here if you want .Best of birding.:t:

Dr Singh,

Thanks for your comments. I know it's impossible to be specific about something as unpredictable as the weather - and nowhere is that more obvious than here in the UK!

I'm was just a bit concerned that I may be planning a visit right in the middle of a monsoon period where the rain doesn't stop for weeks. I can cope with getting wet, but don't want to spend a week splashing around trying to find birds when the rain is so hard you can't see more than 6 feet away.

Best regards

Mark

Mark i have checked and i had also gone in October last year..usualy there are some showers off and on..but birding is o.k...the main rainy times starts usualy at the end of October..rest i would say have faith..best of luck for birding.Oh usualy it is quite misty in the morning in Fraser's Hill even in summers but clear's up wthin a hour or two.regards.:t:

redmill i think it is a good time for birding..you may have some rain off and but i have been there in Feb..the birding was good..p.m. me when you come..and any think new i will let you know..any ideas about the date it may help.REgards.:t:

Thank you. Will contact you closer to the date - we're looking at departing OZ 1st Feb, will have roughly 5 weeks to play in Malaysia.

Hey Mark

it's a lovely place

not been since 2001 but i doubt it's much different. It's cheapest to eat in the 'town centre' by the roundabout. This is also very close to the Malayan Whistling Thrush site.

You can even get Guiness at one of the places much further up the road to high pines.

Be sure to go to the small 'visitor centre' above the town and meet Mr Durai. He's a great chap and a mine of useful info on what birds are knocking arund at any given time.

You can get down to the gap quite quickly (8Kms) and then walk back birding very slowly or walk down and hitch a lift back - best not on the back of a flat bed truck as i did once and nearly got thrown down the steep valley sides on every corner - I was hanging on for dear life while the driver and my girlfriend had a good laugh from the cab.

Hemmant and Bishop's trails used to be good and the tip was always worth a trip - and the waterfall too.

You have to walk a long way from High Pines to get a shot at Mountain Peacock Pheasant though...

I also second visiting Mr. Durai. A gem. Even though it's been 3 years since we've been there - check for the restaurant behind the mosque in town. Perhaps that's what Tim speaks of. Excellent food. Fraser's is great. Squirrels in the "Bird Waves".

You can even get Guiness

The Guiness is brewed in Malaysia and whilst it is good, I seem to remember it being a fair bit stronger than the stuff in Britain. The last place I had it in Malaysia served it up in 1 litre glasses too, not pints. It was a bit tricky to see any birds after 3-4 litres!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back