• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fringillidae (1 Viewer)

It is not of course. Someone got/gave some terrible advice.

P

Attachments

• Illera-2018-Acoustic-genetic-and-morphological-.pdf
    536.6 KB · Views: 14
It is not of course. Someone got/gave some terrible advice
Thanks, Paul.
If they merely created a new .pdf file by concatenating the original work and the corrigendum, I think this new combined file might probably be argued to be published in a Code-compliant way. But as long as they keep the registration data in a separate file, which is not "the work itself", I'm afraid the current rules make both files unpublished...

(I note that the .pdf actually appears to be 'modified' by the system at download, now -- which wasn't the case with Wiley before, I believe. Your file has metadata indicating it was created 2018-12-08T10:34:57+05:30 (i.e., in India), and last modified 2021-03-01T18:09:06-08:00 (which is US Pacific time). This means that, if the work was actually modified between its creation and its download, this will not be visible at all from the file itself.)

Another problematic 2018 work from this journal -- not registered at all, this one, I think -- is:
De Silva TN, Fernando SW, Robbins MB, Cooper JC, Fokam EB, Peterson AT. 2018. Recognition of a new generic-level swallow taxon from central Africa. J. Avian Biol., 49 (e01698): 1-5.; https://doi.org/10.1111/jav.01698 .

Last edited:

So the birds on this website are a work of fiction and therefore I hesitate to post the link here.
There is however much to enjoy if you're into taxonomy, or a 'Fringillophile' like me.

This a speculative evolution project where in a science-fiction scenario a small number of Earth species is used to colonise a new world.
The only bird species used is the Atlantic Canary (Serinus canaria).
Think Hawaii on a global scale!

The project author then allows his imagination to run riot and proceeds to follow evolution and diversification over many millions of years, down some exotic and bizarre but still plausible pathways.

Worth a look for a bit of evolutionary fun!

We concur with previous studies on this system (Marshall and Baker, 1999; Suárez et al., 2009, Rodrigues et al., 2014, Illera et al., 2016, Perktaş et al., 2017, Clement, 2018), on the need for a taxonomic revision of this group, and based on their and our results, we propose that the common chaffinch be divided into five different species, corresponding to Eurasia (Fringilla coelebs), North Africa (Fringilla spodiogenys/africana), Azores (Fringilla moreletti), Madeira (Fringilla maderensis) and the Canary Islands (Fringilla canariensis).

I have the paper 😏
The map in the paper does not show the full extent of the North Africa distribution, but BirdLife Datazone map seems to account for africana and spodiogenys extending into NW Libya, as per IOC 11.2 sspp distributions. Now harterti (Svensson 2015) occurs disjunctly in NE Libya, but which ssp occurs disjunctly in Egypt? Is it syriaca? IOC 11.2 makes no mention of Egypt.

Given the splits in Recuerda et al 2021, would harterti merit similar study?
MJB

Has anyone heard of any research published around the placing of the Ankober Serin?
It's currently placed in Crithagra but in "The Largest Avian Radiation" it is Linaria ankoberensis in the finch phylogeny.
No mention is made of any work published or unpublished in the book.

This possible relationship has been hinted at before.
John Ash who described the species (Ibis vol.121, No.1, 1979) describes the bill as "Linnet-like", and the habit of a flock rising in a compact group, circling round high in buoyant flight before returning to feed. In this respect recalling linnets and redpolls rather than the Crithagra species (tristriatus & striolatus) they share their habitat which tend to head for cover when flushed.

Ash compares this with the similar behaviour of menachensis of Arabia.

His conclusion based on behavioural classification (Nicolai, J. 1960. Verhaltensstudien an einigen afrikanischen under paläarktischen Girlitzen. Zool. Jb. Syst. 87 : 317-362) was that they differed from the subgenus Ochrospiza and instead should be placed in Serinus (sensu stricto).

So perhaps there are 2 current Crithagra species whose relationships lie elsewhere.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard of any research published around the placing of the Ankober Serin?
It's currently placed in Crithagra but in "The Largest Avian Radiation" it is Linaria ankoberensis in the finch phylogeny.

John Ash who described the species (Ibis vol.121, No.1, 1979) describes the bill as "Linnet-like", and the habit of a flock rising in a compact group, circling round high in buoyant flight before returning to feed. In this respect recalling linnets and redpolls rather than the Crithagra species (tristriatus & striolatus) they share their habitat with.

His conclusion based on behavioural classification (Nicolai, J. 1960. Verhaltensstudien an einigen afrikanischen under paläarktischen Girlitzen. Zool. Jb. Syst. 87 : 317-362) was that they differed from the subgenus Ochrospiza and instead should be placed in Serinus (sensu stricto)

So perhaps there are 2 current Crithagra species whose relationships lie elsewhere.
My bad, I deleted the pics from the book you send me. I'm also a dumbass

John Ash who described the species (Ibis vol.121, No.1, 1979) describes the bill as "Linnet-like", and the habit of a flock rising in a compact group, circling round high in buoyant flight before returning to feed. In this respect recalling linnets and redpolls rather than the Crithagra species (tristriatus & striolatus) they share their habitat which tend to head for cover when flushed.

His conclusion based on behavioural classification (Nicolai, J. 1960. Verhaltensstudien an einigen afrikanischen under paläarktischen Girlitzen. Zool. Jb. Syst. 87 : 317-362) was that they differed from the subgenus Ochrospiza and instead should be placed in Serinus (sensu stricto).

Nobody can answer his request because the placement of ankoberensis within Linaria intrigues me a lot ?

Funk, E.R., N.A. Mason, S. Pálsson, T. Albrecht, J.A. Johnson, and S.A. Taylor (2021)
A supergene underlies linked variation in color and morphology in a Holarctic songbird
Nature Communications 12: 6833
doi: 10.1038/s41467-021-27173-z

The genetic architecture of a phenotype can have considerable effects on the evolution of a trait or species. Characterizing genetic architecture provides insight into the complexity of a given phenotype and, potentially, the role of the phenotype in evolutionary processes like speciation. We use genome sequences to investigate the genetic basis of phenotypic variation in redpoll finches (Acanthis spp.). We demonstrate that variation in redpoll phenotype is broadly controlled by a ~55-Mb chromosomal inversion. Within this inversion, we find multiple candidate genes related to melanogenesis, carotenoid coloration, and bill shape, suggesting the inversion acts as a supergene controlling multiple linked traits. A latitudinal gradient in ecotype distribution suggests supergene driven variation in color and bill morphology are likely under environmental selection, maintaining supergene haplotypes as a balanced polymorphism. Our results provide a mechanism for the maintenance of ecotype variation in redpolls despite a genome largely homogenized by gene flow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back