• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (5 Viewers)

Back from the depths of page three.....

Protaras, Cyprus, a lovely place which turned up some really brilliant birds for me...

A few sketches here, though there are more on the blog along with photos and a full account of the birding there...

The best of some great birds here, Cyprus Warbler, Cyprus Wheatear, Long Legged Buzzard and Masked Shrike. The last two were a real surprise...

Attachments

• Cyprus Warbler.jpg
    Cyprus Warbler.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Cyprus wheatear.jpg
    Cyprus wheatear.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Long Legged Buzzard 1.jpg
    Long Legged Buzzard 1.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Masked a.jpg
    Masked a.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Masked shrike 2.jpg
    Masked shrike 2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
fantastic stuff - I love the sketches of the spectacled warblers - really captured the jizz.

Cheers Nick. Can throw the full pages of Specs on here...

Ive just been over to your thread my boy and damn near had a violent movement of the bowels...

Attachments

• Spectacled Warbler 1.jpg
    Spectacled Warbler 1.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Spectacled Warbler quick sketches.jpg
    Spectacled Warbler quick sketches.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Spectacled Warbler sketches.jpg
    Spectacled Warbler sketches.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 51
what a nice surprise- that last Masked Shrike is super-formed, sculpted in crown and chin

its an under-rated birding location, that Protaras and Cape Greko- I once left Mrs K to book a family holiday without any special pleading from me at all on the birding front and ended up there by complete accident one spring, with Collared Flycatchers and all, so I was very content with the outturn

what a nice surprise- that last Masked Shrike is super-formed, sculpted in crown and chin

its an under-rated birding location, that Protaras and Cape Greko- I once left Mrs K to book a family holiday without any special pleading from me at all on the birding front and ended up there by complete accident one spring, with Collared Flycatchers and all, so I was very content with the outturn

I reckon so too Ed. The whole time I was there I was thinking about its potential in spring and more especially autumn. Its got it all. The location in the south east of the island, jutting out into the sea with just the right amount of cover. I was very impressed to say the least and might make an effort to get back there in Sept 2012.

Last edited:
Meant to comment last night but these are all a bit overwhelming - wonderfully creative documentation of some spanking birds; the mask portrait is a piece of genius - as are the sylvias. Particularly taken with the jizzy sheet - lovely.

Great stuff, Alan. I fully remember my first masked shrike in Eilat and was blown away by it. These fine studies evoke such memories. I love the speccys, too - loads of life in those few essential lines. This lot have got my birdy trip juices flowing!

Cheers

Russ

Returning wader passage starting already here and though the numbers are not great the stopovers are all adult. Doesn't get much better than summer adult Curlew Sandpipers and made the trip to see eight birds at Sandemar early this morning, well worth the trip as they are one of my favourite birds to sketch.

Attachments

• cs sketches.jpg
    cs sketches.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 43
  • cs standing.jpg
    cs standing.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 42
  • cs deep water.jpg
    cs deep water.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 42
  • cs head.jpg
    cs head.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 47
And the last few. All done on A3 pad today, very nice to draw on the bigger pages...

Attachments

• cs wading.jpg
    cs wading.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 54
  • cs pair.jpg
    cs pair.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 59
I was about to comment on how long the gaps between your excellent postings were when I got confronted with the curlew sands! Just a weekend between the last two. It's easy to see you had a good trip and brought back a heap of Cypriot treasures. The sands are spot on, the last sheet is certainly a painting waiting to happen.

Mike

I was about to comment on how long the gaps between your excellent postings were when I got confronted with the curlew sands! Just a weekend between the last two. It's easy to see you had a good trip and brought back a heap of Cypriot treasures. The sands are spot on, the last sheet is certainly a painting waiting to happen.

Mike

Worked like a dog in June Mike, covering staff on holidays. The extra money wil go towards a two week trip to Cape Clear in October, so its not all bad;)

Agree with the two together - colourwork screaming to be done. Excellent all round and as much joy to see the drawings as you had with the sighting.

excellent curlews...for some reason that one head study really strikes me every stroke defines but not one stroke to many and all so sure...great work

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back