• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (8 Viewers)

when you've done with them, send them this way - haven't seen a curl sand for years. One of my favourite birds, superb sketching.

And the last few. All done on A3 pad today, very nice to draw on the bigger pages...

they are great- especially the slightly different head angles you've seen and done on them two resting birds

I guess it makes no sense to say that one species of wader is "better" than another, but having said that- Curlew Sandpipers are just one of the best...

Lovely stuff indeed! Big sketches on A3 paper - just what I like to see and read! Face-on bird is particularly well done. I hope to concentrate a lot more on waders this autumn, and these are a great inspiration.

Russ

Something familiar and something very much less familliar, both from an outing to Tyresta National Park, a huge area of pristine swedish forest. Great day out had a few days ago, written up on the blog for those interested.

First the familiar, Black-throated Divers. Eight seen in total, including these four together at Lake Flaten. Quite an incredible sight at dawn, the mist rising off the water and these moving through it together...a few quick sketches jotted down to record the moment...

Attachments

• btdpage.jpg
    btdpage.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 48
  • btd1.jpg
    btd1.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 46
  • btd2.jpg
    btd2.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
The unfamiliar, Two Barred Crossbill. The irruption continues and finally I managed to find three birds, two breathtaking adult males and a single female. Only the second time I've seen the species and my first males ever. Well worth the mileage and found whilst slightly lost in the woods, thank god for smart phones with digital compasses. After taking a wrong turn I found myself amongst a raised pinewood, finding a brace of Wryneck before trumpeting calls were heard coming from the trees off the trail. A total accident that was destined to happen, I love it when a plan comes together...

Attachments

• cross page.jpg
    cross page.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 58
  • cross1.jpg
    cross1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 62
  • cross2.jpg
    cross2.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Great as always :t:

Lots of two-barred as you say, got my first at Djurgården a week ago. A Caspian Gull would be nice in Stockholm as well ;)

//Björn

I don't think there could be a better start to the working-day than viewing these northern beauties; a real pick-me-up on a galeforce grey Monday - magical! Well done on getting lost - glad you re-found yourself.

Great as always :t:

Lots of two-barred as you say, got my first at Djurgården a week ago. A Caspian Gull would be nice in Stockholm as well ;)

//Björn

Hi Björn,

Nice to hear from you, glad to hear your still checking Djurgården. I'm checking the gulls at Skeppsbron on a near daily basis, reckon a Caspian is almost inevitable again his year, early September being most likely. And while were at it, lets have an adult bird;)

Hi Tim,
Hope the gale blows over, have to say I miss that kind of weather, it's all a bit calm here...

Which I wasn't so lazy and got out more, I have just a few meters from my job (NasdaqOMX in Frihamnen) to the forest at Djurgården. Probably lots of fun stuff to be found there If I wasn't so lazy :)

I'll be waiting for an alarm on BMS about that Caspian ;)

//Björn

Great work on both the divers and crossbills, Alan! Our area is seeing a significantly higher number of Red Crossbills than usual - although so far, I haven't personally been the beneficiary of this situation, unfortunately...! Crossbills are always a wonderful find - I hope some day to have the opportunity to sketch them.

always a pleasure to see your black throats, and as regards the crossbills, always a mystery how you see these perfect shapes in the birds enough to be able to draw these forms - they are spot on yet impossible to see in the field.

Cor! I'd love to see summer plumaged BT D's. Your extremely deft hatching and shading has captured the beauty of these elegant birds. Minimalist sketching at it's best! I love the two-barred sketches too, Alan. Some very difficult poses ( never had the chance to sketch any X bills but I imagine that bill is a blighter to draw ) very skillfully captured.

All great stuff but, er, can't we have some more of your gulls!

Russ

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back