• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuerteventura, Tenerife and Santa Pola; 3 months mostly with no car (2 Viewers)

Thursday, 20th January

The end of our second, much stormier week here. Highlight was the first winter Ring-billed Gull I found on one of the beaches in the town on Tuesday and also present yesterday (but not seen today). The weather gradually improved today and ended up very warm with much lighter winds. Resulted in a couple of dragonfly sightings, a Monarch and a Hummingbird Hawk-moth. The dragons looked like Lesser/Vagrant Emperor but views were frustratingly poor. Generally more Barn Swallows around today.

I spent a lot of today searching the perimeter of the Riu Oliva Beach Resort where the densely vegetated areas and irrigated grounds provide a stark contrast to the arid surrounding landscape. Highlight here was a very elusive Song Thrush seen while searching for an even more elusive Robin (which I heard but never saw and may have been something else entirely). One or two Common Chiffchaffs also here, singing at times and 3 White Wagtails were only my second encounter with the species so far. Staring out to sea here netted me 2 immature Gannets heading south well out to sea and with that the trip list limped up to 41 species.

Picking up a car tomorrow morning to explore further afield. The first time in over two weeks we'll have been more than walking distance of our apartment.

Thursday, 20th January

The end of our second, much stormier week here. Highlight was the first winter Ring-billed Gull I found on one of the beaches in the town on Tuesday and also present yesterday (but not seen today). The weather gradually improved today and ended up very warm with much lighter winds. Resulted in a couple of dragonfly sightings, a Monarch and a Hummingbird Hawk-moth. The dragons looked like Lesser/Vagrant Emperor but views were frustratingly poor. Generally more Barn Swallows around today.

I spent a lot of today searching the perimeter of the Riu Oliva Beach Resort where the densely vegetated areas and irrigated grounds provide a stark contrast to the arid surrounding landscape. Highlight here was a very elusive Song Thrush seen while searching for an even more elusive Robin (which I heard but never saw and may have been something else entirely). One or two Common Chiffchaffs also here, singing at times and 3 White Wagtails were only my second encounter with the species so far. Staring out to sea here netted me 2 immature Gannets heading south well out to sea and with that the trip list limped up to 41 species.

Picking up a car tomorrow morning to explore further afield. The first time in over two weeks we'll have been more than walking distance of our apartment.
Brian, good you’ve now got wheels, I’d recommend Pajara and Costa Calma both worth visiting…..if you have the time and patience to handle the “rush hour”. 😂

PS…Brian I forgot to mention African Blue Tit at Pajara and Redwing at Costa Calma apologies 👍

Cheers

Attachments

• B6779EFF-E6DC-4486-8C4C-6164BA633E8B.jpeg
    B6779EFF-E6DC-4486-8C4C-6164BA633E8B.jpeg
    642.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Friday, 21 January - Wheels!

Started with a stroll via the harbour to collect the hire car. Spoonbill "NAJA" was once more feeding there and seemingly very tolerant of people coming up quite close. A Common Chiffchaff was singing away and our bit of town was also suffering from a nasty outbreak of Linnets.

We were soon heading south towards Betancuria via La Oliva. Birds were scarce en route but a party of three Black-bellied Sandgrouse buzzed across in front of us over the FV-207 just south of Tao. Poor views while moving though and I'd really like better if possible. Betancuria itself proved to be a very pleasant stop with more greenery than we'd been used to for some time and a few more trip ticks. A few African Blue Tits and Sardinian Warbler were a welcome change and a couple of Common Buzzards, a Common Kestrel plus Ravens were overhead. Perhaps the most notable was a party of four Song Thrushes hanging around the cultivation on the south side. The sun was reluctant today so butterflies were few and far between but Small White, Painted Lady and Clouded Yellow on the wing and a few of the, as yet unidentified, dragonflies about. A few Barbary Ground Squirrels entertaining as ever. One Hoopoe, a Grey Heron and a whole load of Collared Doves and Spanish Sparrows completed the picture here.

Turning back north we called in at Embalse de los Molinos, greeted by the sound of a Greenshank calling as we got out of the car. That and a couple of Little Ringed Plovers showed and were the only waders. Up to 25 Ruddy Shelduck were mobile and 3 Common Buzzards cruised the gorge below. We crossed the damn, headed left and explored the Barranco Fuente Lopez leading west from the water. A pair of Fuerteventura Stonechats were in the spindly vegetation along with a Great Grey Shrike and a Berthelot's Pipit. Bitter Apple grows in the stream and there were more of the same dragonflies.

We finished off by driving down to the sea at Los Molinos. A lot of water flowing in the river but apart from the plague of Muscovy Ducks only a Great Grey Shrike and a couple of Common Sandpipers here. On getting back to Corralejo there were the largest numbers of Barn Swallows and House Martins around yet, maybe 50+?

Photo quality particularly poor today so it's this Greenshank or an African Blue Tit's arse.

Attachments

• greenshank_21jan22_2160w_1813.jpg
    greenshank_21jan22_2160w_1813.jpg
    944.7 KB · Views: 20
  • bitter_apple_21jan22_2160w.jpg
    bitter_apple_21jan22_2160w.jpg
    874.2 KB · Views: 20
  • bitter_apple_21jan22_1700s.jpg
    bitter_apple_21jan22_1700s.jpg
    556.8 KB · Views: 20
Saturday, 22 January 2022

Not a particularly early start but headed off to Faro de Toston (one of the last places Cream-coloured Courser reported on eBird). Apart from Yelllow-legged Gulls and the usual waders the bird life was fairly uninspiring but some extremely close views of Atlantic Lizards (almost running over feet). Interesting to see the salt being excreted from nasal glands. A bit of seawatching confirmed a total lack of anything avian or cetacean moving.

From here we drove out onto the plains south of El Cotillo to visit the quirky stone labyrinth. A 1.2km walk to complete the whole maze and good views of Mediterranean Short-toed Lark, Barbary Partridge and Great Grey Shrike on the way.

With warmer sunnier weather today we decided to return to Betancuria mainly looking for insects. Although not amazing we did get Plain Tiger, Red Admiral, Geranium Bronze, Painted Lady and Hummingbird Hawk-moth. There were a few more birds around as well; Atlantic Canary was a lifer and a Common Chiffchaff showed this time.

Attachments

• island_canary_22jan22_1440p_1872.jpg
    island_canary_22jan22_1440p_1872.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 18
  • geranium_bronze_22jan22_1440p_1864.jpg
    geranium_bronze_22jan22_1440p_1864.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 19
  • plain_tiger_22jan22_2160l_1861.jpg
    plain_tiger_22jan22_2160l_1861.jpg
    958.5 KB · Views: 17
  • plain_tiger_22jan22_1440s_1851.jpg
    plain_tiger_22jan22_1440s_1851.jpg
    750.6 KB · Views: 18
  • atlantic_lizard_22jan22_2160w_1845.jpg
    atlantic_lizard_22jan22_2160w_1845.jpg
    779.3 KB · Views: 20
  • barbary_partridge_22jan22_2160l_1847.jpg
    barbary_partridge_22jan22_2160l_1847.jpg
    997.2 KB · Views: 21
  • atlantic_lizard_22jan22_2160w_1841.jpg
    atlantic_lizard_22jan22_2160w_1841.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 15
  • atlantic_lizard_22jan22_2160w_1838.jpg
    atlantic_lizard_22jan22_2160w_1838.jpg
    752.6 KB · Views: 15
  • barbary_ground_squirrel_22jan22_2160l_1881.jpg
    barbary_ground_squirrel_22jan22_2160l_1881.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 16
Sunday, 23 January 2022

Out pre-dawn for another failed attempt at the Courser around Faro De Toston. Very pleasant couple of hours here in beautiful light. Great views of a couple of Stone-curlews, Great Grey Shrike and a cracking flock of about 30 very showy Trumpeter Finches.

Picked up Karen mid morning and headed south to the caves at Ajuy. Interesting spot but few birds to speak of (and another confirmation that nothing is moving further out to sea at the moment). Fuerteventura Stonechat and Sardinian Warbler were in the car park area and at least 7 Egyptian Vultures circling over the hills on the edge of town.

On then to the Barranco de Rio Cabras. Unfortunately I'd not left myself enough time here and it looks like the most interesting habitat of this type on the island. Many gulls, Ravens, Common Buzzards and Egyptian Vultures over the tip. Mediterranean Short-toed Larks on the stony plain on the way to the gorge. Along the valley itself Ruddy Shelduck, 4 Black-winged Stilts, Little Ringed Plover, Green and Common Sandpiper, Grey Heron, African Blue Tit, Fuerteventura Stonechat and Berthelot's Pipits. Not bad for half an hour or so and a few new for the trip.

On the way back north stopped off at the (permanently?) closed cave site of Cuevas del Llano where 2 Barbary Partridges and a Spectacled Warbler showed.

Monday, 24 Jan

Took a final pre-dawn drive out to Tindaya. Drove a lot of the tracks (some very rough indeed) with very little to show for it. 2 Stone-curlews and a bunch of Med Short-toed Larks being the best. Spoke to others out there who'd had a similar experience. Sometime I guess the birds just aren't there.

So three days car hire (at £28 a day and £30 in fuel) added 10 species to the trip list, 4 to my 'nomadic' list and 1 lifer (which no doubt I'll see a great deal more of when we hit Tenerife). Didn't make to the deep south of the island, which would no doubt have added a little more. Another time.

It's good to be back on shank's pony now. A walk around the harbour showed the Ring-billed Gull still present in the same area by Playa de Corralejo.

Attachments

• ring-billed_gull_24jan22_1440s_1908.jpg
    ring-billed_gull_24jan22_1440s_1908.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 23
  • stone-curlew_23jan22_2160l_1882.jpg
    stone-curlew_23jan22_2160l_1882.jpg
    690.6 KB · Views: 24
  • stone-curlew_23jan22_2160l_1884.jpg
    stone-curlew_23jan22_2160l_1884.jpg
    880.1 KB · Views: 18
  • great_grey_shrike_23jan22_1440p_1886.jpg
    great_grey_shrike_23jan22_1440p_1886.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 18
  • great_grey_shrike_23jan22_1440p_1887.jpg
    great_grey_shrike_23jan22_1440p_1887.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 17
  • trumpeter_finches_23jan22_2160l_1890.jpg
    trumpeter_finches_23jan22_2160l_1890.jpg
    427.2 KB · Views: 15
  • trumpeter_finches_23jan22_1440s_1892.jpg
    trumpeter_finches_23jan22_1440s_1892.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 15
  • black-winged_stilt_23jan22_2160l_1896.jpg
    black-winged_stilt_23jan22_2160l_1896.jpg
    845 KB · Views: 16
  • green_sandpiper_23jan22_2160l_1903.jpg
    green_sandpiper_23jan22_2160l_1903.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 23
Thursday, 27th

Heavy rain overnight and heavy showers today. Ventured out to the Punta de Corralejo at the north of town where I had seen some feeding flocks of gulls offshore yesterday and wanted another look. No such gathering today but a Glossy Ibis flew over heading south. From a quick check this appears to be quite scarce on the islands. Does anyone have a handle on occurrence here?

The Ring-billed Gull is also still in the harbour. The showers also brought down a flock of 10 swifts, all Plain Swift as far as I could tell.

No such gathering today but a Glossy Ibis flew over heading south. From a quick check this appears to be quite scarce on the islands. Does anyone have a handle on occurrence here?

according to the official checklist it's a "seasonal visitor" rather than a "vagrant"
but it could be fairly scarce i guess.
might be worth reporting (along with any other scarcities) to Eduardo Garcia del Rey?
James

Thanks James. Also this evening a large jet black-backed gull went over. Great Black-backed or Kelp are the only options I think. No chance of relocating it today now unfortunately.

Thanks James. Also this evening a large jet black-backed gull went over. Great Black-backed or Kelp are the only options I think. No chance of relocating it today now unfortunately.
Rare Birds in Spain reported a Kelp Gull at La Oliva on 18th January. 2nd for Canaries.

Friday, 28 January

A day of ups and downs. Started with some very crunchy muesli which meant I was half a pre-molar lighter by the time I hit the Parque Natural (fortunately not causing me any pain). The small matter of having to take out the rubbish meant I started a little further west, which may just have got me my first Cream-coloured Coursers of the stay. A party of 5 showed very well not very far from the town and I managed this bit of shaky video just before the first of the dog walkers descended. Dogs are banned in the park but you wouldn't know it. They range far and wide and not long after this one off the lead decided to have a go at me. My subsequent conversation with the owner at least proved I was a little more fluent in Spanish than I'd previously thought!

The birding however continued to be utterly excellent. Bouts of rain over the past week or so had encouraged plenty of new plant growth and the place was alive with birds. In particular Mediterranean Short-toed Larks, which were almost constant companions singing everywhere and numbered up to 40 birds. Next a pair of joggers (with another dog off the lead) put up a pair of Houbara Bustards in roughly the same area I'd encountered them twice before.

I then headed to a great little patch I'd enjoyed on previous visits and sat for a while, again surrounded by Larks but also joined by a Hoopoe, a male Fuerteventura Stonechat, small flocks of Trumpeter Finches, Linnets and Berthelot's Pipits. A call from unseen Black-bellied Sandgrouse was a little frustrating as I still haven't had good views of these while on the island. Nearby were 2 Barbary Partridges and a further 2 showed in the sandy desert nearby followed much later by a flock of around 10 in the northeastern part of the park as I walked back.

Checking out the lush gardens and surrounding trees of the isolated Rui hotel complex on the coast revealed the Song Thrush again, this time in subsong but fewer birds. Two Atlantic Lizards were nice though and there was the unexpected sight of a Whimbrel right out in the desert habitat as I walked back.

All in all a thoroughly superb morning's birding. Around 4 hours, 5-6 miles and 16 top quality species.

Attachments

• cream-coloured_courser_28jan22_grab_1926.jpg
    cream-coloured_courser_28jan22_grab_1926.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 35
  • med_short-toed_lark_28jan22_1946l_1929.jpg
    med_short-toed_lark_28jan22_1946l_1929.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 34
  • desert_green_28jan22_2160w_1932.jpg
    desert_green_28jan22_2160w_1932.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 31
  • whimbrel_28jan22_2160l_1936.jpg
    whimbrel_28jan22_2160l_1936.jpg
    689.4 KB · Views: 35
  • cream-coloured_courser_28jan22.mp4
    19.8 MB
Last edited:
Hi Brian,
This location
(28.5025166, -14.0231222)
Was excellent for sandgrouse in early December, large numbers feeding amongst the goats particularly on the south side of the track, even during the middle of the day.
Of course you do need wheels to get there....
James

Hi Brian,
This location
(28.5025166, -14.0231222)
Was excellent for sandgrouse in early December, large numbers feeding amongst the goats particularly on the south side of the track, even during the middle of the day.
Of course you do need wheels to get there....
James
Thanks. Not far from where we had three in flight during our three days with wheels. I've seen many before but would be good to get good views here. Only a few days left here before we move on to Tenerife (where, unexpectedly, we will have a car for the month).

I saw the report of Kelp Gull but the location was only given to the region so no idea whereabouts it was seen here. I have a vague recollection that there was a spate of Kelp Gull reports from Western Sahara a decade or so ago that almost all turned out to be GBBG. The Macaronesian Birds app give GBBG as "Irregular winter migrant and Seasonal visitor". I was directed to this app for info on occurrence on each of the islands but can't seem to find such info. I'd still like to know previous occurrences of Ring-billed Gull and Glossy Ibis here. Kelp Gull is a vagrant.

I saw the report of Kelp Gull but the location was only given to the region so no idea whereabouts it was seen here. I have a vague recollection that there was a spate of Kelp Gull reports from Western Sahara a decade or so ago that almost all turned out to be GBBG. The Macaronesian Birds app give GBBG as "Irregular winter migrant and Seasonal visitor". I was directed to this app for info on occurrence on each of the islands but can't seem to find such info. I'd still like to know previous occurrences of Ring-billed Gull and Glossy Ibis here. Kelp Gull is a vagrant.
We saw Kelp Gulls in Western Sahara a few years after they were first discovered, only to later realise they were GBBGs! I think initially there were Kelp Gulls at that location, but don't recall how it all panned out.

Yes, would be good to get the fuller picture on the others too.

Saturday, 29 January

Another calima event with even more saharan dust and even more Vagrant Emperors than last time. Now fairly confident of the ID thanks to sensationally rubbish photos like this one. The Ring-billed Gull continues at the little beach of Playa Corralejo, now coming to bread people throw for the Grey Mullet and Feral Pigeons here. A rather smart first winter Sandwich Tern was also there briefly.

Attachments

• ring-billed_gull_29jan22_2160l_1958.jpg
    ring-billed_gull_29jan22_2160l_1958.jpg
    720.6 KB · Views: 26
  • sandwich_tern_29jan22_1366l_1955.jpg
    sandwich_tern_29jan22_1366l_1955.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 19
  • sandwich_tern_29jan22_1366l_1954.jpg
    sandwich_tern_29jan22_1366l_1954.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 23
  • vagrant_emperor_29jan22_2160l_1948.jpg
    vagrant_emperor_29jan22_2160l_1948.jpg
    485.7 KB · Views: 24
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back