• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Funny Warbler, Notts (1 Viewer)

James_Owen

Found an odd looking warbler at Brierley Forest Park this morning.

Too large for a Chiffchaff, seeing it land in the corner of my eye I initially assumed it would be one of the House Sparrows calling nearby, so that big.
It had a faded eye-stripe, pale throat contrasting with slightly buff breast, complete pale eye-ring, dark legs, fairly large bill, nothing noticeable in the wing, vent or on the back, overall giving the impression of a bird somwhere between Chiffchaff and a sylvia. It's got me stumped.
Shame that it gave to call to go on.

This was around 1100-1200, and it gave two moderate views in the area of bramble above the visitor centre, between the golf course and football pitch.

Garden Warbler is possible, winter records are not unknown but extremely unusual.

Is that so? Have there been any reliable winter records of Garden Warbler before? (- don't think yours is, though, James).

One was claimed a couple of winters ago near me (the 'Garden Warbler' was never seen again despite quite a bit of searching) and I seem to recall the discussion at the time saying that there weren't (m)any previous reliable winter records?

BT

Found an odd looking warbler at Brierley Forest Park this morning.

Too large for a Chiffchaff, seeing it land in the corner of my eye I initially assumed it would be one of the House Sparrows calling nearby, so that big.
It had a faded eye-stripe, pale throat contrasting with slightly buff breast, complete pale eye-ring, dark legs, fairly large bill, nothing noticeable in the wing, vent or on the back, overall giving the impression of a bird somwhere between Chiffchaff and a sylvia. It's got me stumped.
Shame that it gave to call to go on.

This was around 1100-1200, and it gave two moderate views in the area of bramble above the visitor centre, between the golf course and football pitch.

what colour was it above?

Rob

what colour was it above?

Rob

Dull brownish grey above, and not rich enough for Cetti's (which I assume wouldn't be too at home in bramble anyway).

Thing is, even a Chiffchaff would be a notable bird for the site as they don't really winter much around here, but again, the size, and the other described features, meant it didn't look quite right.
I'll be sure to get up there again tomorrow if I can.

1100-1200 you say? I might be able to have a butcher's toward the end of that window. I am right in thinking this is the park at Huthwaite? Not been yet, though I think part of it appears in one of my atlas tetrads so I should acquaint myself with it.

Yep, Sutton/Huthwaite border really. Plenty else around too, Lesser Redpoll, Siskin, Bullfinch, etc. For an LNR it's not awfully well covered by birders. They get put off by all the dog poo is my guess.

To save me flicking thru' the map where is access from and what's parking like - I'll be in a 7 1/2 ton vehicle tomorrow, van on Friday. Height restricter?

Is that so? Have there been any reliable winter records of Garden Warbler before? (- don't think yours is, though, James).

There's a reliable record of one in Essex in Jan 2006, in Colchester with two wintering Blackcaps.

A quick search of RBA online also came up with a bird at Prawle Point on and off from 12 Nov 06 until 1 Jan at least.

There's a reliable record of one in Essex in Jan 2006, in Colchester with two wintering Blackcaps.

A quick search of RBA online also came up with a bird at Prawle Point on and off from 12 Nov 06 until 1 Jan at least.

Interesting, thanks.

And also noteworthy that these records, plus the Portland record mentioned above, are all coastal or near coastal sites in southern England...

There are actually a few Finnish records of Garden Warbler from late November/early December, too (some of which have been twitchable/photographed). But as the species is quite rare in Britain at this time of the year, I think that a more detailed description would be required.

Have had Garden Warbler at Dunge til early Dec (poor fella!) and yes, one half over wintered at Prawle last year. And how many more have been lurking throughout the winter in more inland, less well watched sites? Description does sound good for Garden, more info would be required to be sure though.

No sign of it around 9am today, after a good search in pretty lousy weather.

Of all the candidates Garden Warbler probably is the closest, I guess the species doesn't tend to be on my radar at this time of year. A quick search through photographs and depending on light conditions it looks better than in others.
Anyway, unless the bird turns up again I'm just noting it down as a Warbler sp., hoping that any news of it gets more birders around the park. We're so underwatched by more expert birders.

James,
Brierly was covered alot in 2000/2001 by myself and Lester Allcock and we had quite alot of good birds there (HB's, Grey Plover, SEO, LEOs, R.Ouzels etc etc). But the main draw back for birders here is the lack of a decent sized area of water! The place is just a dog-walkers playground.
Since me & LA stopped hammering absolutely nothing of value has occurred.
Regarding your 'funny' warbler, maybe it would have been better to have posted your message on the Notts Forum instead of here or even let a few locals know, you have our contact details!

Take it easy
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back