• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden observations (1 Viewer)

helenol

It's not really a list, just a "summary" of the birds seen in or above the garden this past week or so since moving into my new place.

Blackcaps
Chaffinch
Goldfinch
Greenfinch
Goldcrest
Siskin
Robin
Nuthatch
Woodpigeon (there's a surprise)
Blackbird
Long tailed tits
Blue tits
Marsh tit
Great tits
Coal tit
Great spot woodpecker
Song thrush
Mistle thrush
Pheasants common
Pheasant, Reeve
Chiffchaff
Treecreeper
Spotted Flycatcher
Bullfinch (pair and juvenile)
Jackdaw
Rook
Carrion crow
Wren
Jays
Sparrowhawk
Buzzards, common (perching in tree)
Red kites (4 above garden, one perching)
Kestrel
Tawny owl (2)
Hobby

Last edited:
Nice list of birds Helen. How big is your garden, and what does it consist of?.

Woodpigeons! thats really excellent news, and no Collared Doves yet?, Sparrows, Starlings?.

Last edited:
Impressive, Helen - plenty of compensation there for lack of broadband.

The only time I have seen a treecreeper here, was when I found one on the patio - stunned, but not dead fortunately. I kept a watch over it in case of predators, and after about half an hour, it flew away.

Had a treat today though - a male bullfinch on the rockery.

Attachments

• treecreeper.jpg
    treecreeper.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 248
Alan, I'm in the middle of woodland. Size approx 1.5 - 2 acres I suppose. Most of it is err woods! Best thing is, it is just an extension of a nature reserve and NT woodland.

I am hoping to see some owls. Heard some very strange noises in the evening - no idea what they are. Do muntjac make strange noises? One is a regular visitor gnawing on the wild bushes.

Only been here since last week, so hopefully plenty of time to add to my "summary" - I don't keep lists ;)

Any ideas what other birds I am likely to see in these surroundings?

Not one collared dove either!
No starlings, and unfortunately no swifts - at the previous house they nested under the eaves. I miss them.

Beech. Damn, I forgot the blackcaps. Thanks for the reminder Pete. Here's a couple of crap pics.

Attachments

• bcap.jpg
    bcap.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 194
  • crapkitepic.jpg
    crapkitepic.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
helenol said:
I am hoping to see some owls. Heard some very strange noises in the evening - no idea what they are. Do muntjac make strange noises? One is a regular visitor gnawing on the wild bushes.
No swifts - at the previous house they nested under the eaves. I miss them.
Sounds fantastic Helen, Lucky you!.
Muntjac do make strange sounds, they bark like small dogs too.
Please keep us up to date with the sightings

A couple of pics. Am I right in saying the GSW is a juvenile?

Attachments

• buzmag.jpg
    buzmag.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 196
  • gardenvisitors.jpg
    gardenvisitors.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 187
  • juvgsw.jpg
    juvgsw.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 244
Hi Helen

Looks a good looking list already. I'm especially envious of the Spotted Flycatcher as I haven't seen one in Britain yet this year.

You might not be that far from me as I live in South Warwickshire but seeing as you have listed Red Kites above your garden you are probably in the southern reaches of Oxfordshire.

Regarding what else you might see. Well Wren, Willow Tit and possibly the other two woodpeckers would be nice. Tawny Owl and Little Owl are a distinct possibility, surely Crow and Rooks would be about.

There is also a chance of Fox's, Badger, Squirrel.

I know what you mean about missing the sound of the Swifts. We have about 50 of them here where we live and they all use the eaves of the houses across the road from us. I would miss them to if we moved to somewhere that didn't have them.

We had two very good birds fly over our garden this week. We live right in the middle of a town and surprisingly a Hobby flashed across the garden and half an hour later 3 Buzzards were thermalling directly above us.

It will be interesting to see just what you do get visiting your garden over the coming weeks.

helenol said:
A couple of pics. Am I right in saying the GSW is a juvenile?

Looks like a juvenile to me Helen - the adult male has the red at the back of the neck, and it disappears altogether from the female adult's head. (I wonder if the red top of the head is so that the parents can see the chicks more easily)?

Reader said:
I know what you mean about missing the sound of the Swifts. We have about 50 of them here where we live and they all use the eaves of the houses across the road from us. I would miss them to if we moved to somewhere that didn't have them.

It will be interesting to see just what you do get visiting your garden over the coming weeks.
Hello Reader,

Yes, I have the expected squirrel (who doesn't). And crows - who are always mobbing the buzzards and kites.

Also visits from muntjac and roe deer. Talking about the swifts, the day after I wrote my post regarding the lack of swifts - I looked up, and their were dozens of them. Must have come from the village a mile or so away. So, at least I'm still seeing them here.

I am hearing quite a lot of owls now. Tawny. Not sure about the little owl, as I still have to discover the sound they make, but there sure are some strange noises going on out there at night.

Oh yes, I'm in the Chilterns on the Bucks/Oxon border.

Sounds like a fantastic place to live Helen, a birders paradise. I'm sure you'll sonn have a garden list we'll all be envious of. Like Reader I too had a Hobby fly over my garden while I was sat in my garden, I always have my binoculars handy so I got an excellent view as it flew directly overhead. I was very surprised as I can count the number of Hobbies I've seen in this part of the Country on one hand. Good luck with your new house and garden.

It sounds like you have made a very good choice Helen. You are building a very impressive garden list with no dout a fair few will still be added. Maybe it helps to compensate a bit for no Broadband. Good luck. John.

Hi Helen

I don't know where you moved from, and I don't know where you actually live now, but I can recommend one beautiful area near to a village called West Isley. It is stunning around there and the Lambourn Gallops are nearby. There's a nice pub there as well.

There are some fabulous walks with some incredible scenery and because it is so vast I would consider it fairly underwatched. I could imagine that there are some good birds that go unseen.

Glad to see you've moved successfully, Helen.
I'm sure you'll see lots of birds... especially once you've got your pond dug and elders planted ;)
I would guess that it's only a matter of time till you see pied wag, siskin, fieldfare, redwing, greenfinch, chaffinch, mistle thrush, whitethroat etc. Also, if you are in a beech wood, you stand a good chance of LSW and brambling sooner or later. We had our first jay and carrion crow in the garden a day or two ago.
You can get swift (and house martin) nest boxes, I believe, if you are really keen!
Keep us posted!

Elizabeth Bigg said:
"The only time I have seen a treecreeper here, was when I found one on the patio - stunned, but not dead fortunately. I kept a watch over it in case of predators, and after about half an hour, it flew away."

How bizarre is that? The only time I've seen a Treecreeper in my garden was when it flew into the patio window. Thankfully, it also recovered after about half an hour.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back