• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2012 (14 Viewers)

Not a new one for this thread, but a new 2012 year bird for our yard:

49. Brown-headed Cowbird (a single adult male bird). * Unusual for our urban yard!

Moved to a new house in north Norwich yesterday; mid terrace with a tiny garden but only about 400m from the River Wensum so hoping I might get some vismig during the autumn. Nothing particularly exciting so far, but having moved from a basement flat with no garden it's nice to just be able to join this thread:

1. Swift
2. Woodpigeon
3. Goldfinch
4. House Sparrow
5. Collared Dove
6. Long-tailed Tit (heard only)
7. Greenfinch (heard only)
8. Chaffinch
9. Black-headed Gull
10. Feral Pigeon
11. Herring Gull

All those seen have been flyovers save a single House Sparrow that sat on my chimney.

I'm going to set myself a potentially ambitious target of 40 by the end of the year.

Will

So about 5 months a go I posted this. It's not been easy going in the middle of urban sprawl but there have been a couple of nice surprises. In no particular order:

12: Lesser Black-backed Gull (regular)
13. Starling (regular in summer)
14. Blue Tit (regular)
15. Great Tit (regular)
16. Coal Tit (1 record of 2 juvs in a mixed flock)
17. Robin (often heard, rarely seen)
18. Wren (heard singing once)
19. Peregrine (1 flyover- presumably one of the Norwich city centre birds)
20. House Martin (1 record of two birds flying south)
21. Siskin (a couple of flyover flocks)
22. Pied Wagtail (infrequent flyover)
23. Meadow Pipit (a couple of flyovers)
24. Tree Pipit (1 record in August, bird flying south)
25. Cormorant (infrequent flyover)
26. Blackbird (regular)
27. Redwing (regular nocturnal migration from mid-october)
28. Little Ringed Plover (1 calling repeatedly, flying south Sep 2nd 12.30am)
29. Woodcock (1 flushed from neighbours garden 11/12)
30. Waxwing (1 west this morning trilling away- thought i'd missed them
31. Jay (regular during influx)
32. Magpie (infrequent
33. Carrion Crow (infrequent)
34. Common Gull (a couple of flyovers in the last week)

I think that's it though I may have forgotten something. No Dunnock, Sparrowhawk, Song or Mistle Thrush here. Virtually nothing on the deck with the exception of House Sparrow, Collared Dove, Goldfinch and the odd passing Tit sp. The target of 40 was certainly ambitious, very much doubt I'll get there now. It's been fun though.

Cheers,

Will

Well plenty of snow now, a raging blizzard near enough over the last couple of days.

Off on a trip in the next days, so this weekend was probably my last visit to my feeders in 2012.

No rise in the species total, so 123 it is, a memorable year in many respects.

Yesterday, an amazing four White-backed Woodpeckers were together at the feeders, but the real star was a night visitor. Had noticed chunks of fat were being hauled down, so with suspicions as to who was responsible, I left my camera overlooking a well-placed chunk - NIGHT RAIDER - VIDEO HERE

No idea about how many I've seen in my garden in 2012 but with a number of new garden birds added (including American Buff-bellied Pipit and Common Rosefinch in October) I'm now up to 166 in / from the garden. Not bad at all for SW Norway.

Just been out for a quick look...forlorn hope of another...

Nothing new for ages now, so it looks like the year will end on a fairly average/poor 79.

Tomorrow a New Year list begins, folks!!

Happy New Year and good luck for the 2013 Garden.

H

Nothing more for me either so my garden year ends on 85, two less than last year. I did have one that got away though........a possible Water Pipit but it was here for only about 3 minutes if that, during my October flurry, and never to be seen again. It would have been a garden first but can't count it.:flyaway:

Happy New Year to all of the Garden listers!

Finished on 110 which greatly exceeded all my expectations. Spent a lot of time looking out my study window or standing out the front to do. Not sure I want to make such an effort again with so many good places just a short walk away...

Happy New Year from Aus to all and sundry!

73...same as 2011....albeit with a different arrangement of species!...Happy New Year to one and all..lets hope 2013 is as good!..If not better.

cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back