• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2012 (1 Viewer)

I was surprised to see a bright yellow bird in my garden this time of year - all of the weavers and canaries turn brown or leave. So I was very pleased to identify a newcomer - 69. Black headed oriole.

Is garden defined as our whole property or just the garden part itself. I live on a farm in America and could get a ton of birds from there. Thanks.

Is garden defined as our whole property or just the garden part itself. I live on a farm in America and could get a ton of birds from there. Thanks.
I think you'll find it's a whole property. When I think of it, if I lived on one of the larger cattle stations here in Aus, I'd have a property the size of a small European country to find birds on...

Two more altitudinal migrants fell today: a mixed flock out the back of Silvereyes and Red-browed Firetails moving through the low trees calling continually as I was getting ready for work.

93) Grey-breasted Silvereye.
94) Red-browed Firetail.

It's ages since I've posted..........because there has been nothing new but last night a Little Owl, no 69 was very vocal from the nearby copse. It woke me up and it was so persistent that I went to the window and watched and to my amazement it flew over the hay field just beyond the garden hedge!:t: I usually see or hear one here from late summer onwards; have always presumed it was juvs on the move but it's not late summer yet........

I added Kestrel this morning and had a very nice Mediterranean Gull low through the garden. It didn't touch down alas.

116/77/44

I must be on a roll as I'm currently watching a Sacred Kingfisher on my neighbours' rotary; in exactly the same place I saw one last year! This is a winter visitor from NZ and there are lots about at the mo', so I have been looking out for them.

The Kingfishers seem to like my neighbours' place; must be a lizard colony in the garden or something.

96) Sacred Kingfisher.

Had distant views at work of what could have been a Little Eagle or may even have been another Square-tailed Kite. Too bad I didn't have my bins with me... Still need Whistling Kite for the Garden List but haven't seen any anywhere in the city of late.

Not updated mine for ages, will take a look at my list later, however early this morning I was amazed to hear a tern calling and sure enough a Common Tern was flying low north just over the garden, my 88th house bird

39 Little Corella
40 Torresian Imperial Pigeon
For Jane:

This is the same bird as my Pied Imperial Pigeon.;)

Had reports of a Shining Bronze Cuckoo a few hundred metres from home; been straining to hear it from my study window over the last couple of days to no avail yet...

Ultimately however, the Garden List or a hypothetical Walking Distance List are meant to be fun, something which some people are seemingly forgetting in their desire to be exhaustive with rules. And anyway... at the end of the day we are policing ourselves so only have our consciences to consider if we mis-ID something or, heaven forbid, fabricate species in a competitive desire to 'win'. ;)

Fun? I thought it was deadly serious ... :eek!:

On which note, from a couple of weeks back and not necessarily in the correct order -

61) Golden Oriole
62) Scops Owl (h only)
63) Turtle Dove (h only)
64) W. Bonelli's Warbler
65) Purple Heron

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back