• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2024 (4 Viewers)

30 birds so far, will make a list either tonight, or tomorrow when back in Zürich. Some unexpected birds in the list; a couple of 'sure' candidates very absent this morning.

A good start for me with two first ever for January species, Black Grouse and Black Redstart, plus a Grey Wagtail (only the second time in January).
1 Black Grouse
2 Lammergeier
3 Golden Eagle
4 Raven
5 Jay
6 Carrion Crow
7 Mistle Thrush
8 Fieldfare
9 Blackbird
10 Robin
11 Black Redstart
12 Wren
13 Grey Wagtail
14 Black Woodpecker
15 Green Woodpecker
16 Long-tailed Tit
17 Marsh Tit
18 Crested Tit
19 Coal Tit
20 Blue Tit
21 Great Tit
22 Nuthatch
23 Chaffinch
24 Brambling
25 Hawfinch
26 Crossbill
27 Greenfinch
28 Goldfinch
29 Bullfinch
30 Siskin
31 Yellowhammer
32 Tawny Owl
33 Common Buzzard

Last edited:
Just 28, Barnacle Goose the only one I wouldn't expect to see everyday in winter.

Pheasant
Magpie
Sparrowhawk
Starling
Wood Pigeon
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Dunnock
Stock Dove
Herring Gull
Carrion Crow
Common Gull
Black-headed Gull
Lapwing
Curlew
Whooper Swan
Oystercatcher
Mute Swan
Teal
Blackbird
Barn Owl
Greylag Goose
Canada Goose
Barnacle Goose
Mallard
Shoveler
Redshank
Little Egret

27 species this morning, the first a singing Robin at 03:30! Didn't spend too long looking around this morning as it was clearly not going to deliver much...how wrong could I be? A Buzzard sitting in the open at the back of the scrub was nice, a Sparrowhawk came and sat a few metres away too. Later 2 Buzzards were flying around in the distance when all of a sudden 'another' appeared. It soon resolved itself in to a fem. Marsh Harrier, the first winter record. It circled round for a bit and then flew over the garden and East along the river. Naturally I forgot to video it until it was almost out of sight :-(

View attachment IMG_0500.mov

I could hear a shoot taking place about a kilometre away, maybe that was what disturbed the raptors?

Later in the afternoon a/the same Buzzard was sat right by the front door. They did attempt to build a nest last year so maybe they are staking out some territory. I flushed a Kingfisher and Grey Wagtail, also near the front door when I came in later.

I'm pretty pleased with that start, hopefully it will keep my enthusiasm up until some movement starts.

Blackbird
Blue Tit
Dunnock
Jackdaw
Long-tailed Tit
Magpie
Moorhen
Robin
Rock Dove
Rook
Woodpigeon
Wren
Great Tit
Sparrowhawk
Black-headed Gull
Goldfinch
Starling
Mallard
Kingfisher
Greenfinch
Grey Wagtail
Carrion Crow
Buzzard
Coal Tit
Little Egret
Little Grebe
Marsh Harrier

Last edited:
23 species today in 4 hours, sent me out “on patch”, where I accrued another 8 species for the day, with the star being a Greenfinch!
Hopefully, I’ll be able to reel those (8) in over the next few weeks or months.🙏

I neglected the garden in favour of my #PWC2024 site, Swithland Reservoir for the morning of the 1st but then spent a couple of chilly hours out in the afternoon. Plus 40 minutes before the rain set in this morning. A very quiet start......

January 1st
1. Robin
2. Blackbird
3. Jackdaw
4. Greenfinch
5. Blue Tit
6. Chaffinch
7. Lesser Redpoll
8. Magpie
9. Feral Pigeon
10. Redwing
11. Starling
12. Carrion Crow
13. Black-headed Gull
14. Woodpigeon
15. Collared Dove
16. Great Tit
17. Goldfinch
18. Dunnock

January 2nd
19. Linnet
20. Rook

Happy New Year to all
Steve

A good start for me with two first ever for January species, Black Grouse and Black Redstart, plus a Grey Wagtail (only the second time in January).
1 Black Grouse
2 Lammergeier
3 Golden Eagle
4 Raven
5 Jay
6 Carrion Crow
7 Mistle Thrush
8 Fieldfare
9 Blackbird
10 Robin
11 Black Redstart
12 Wren
13 Grey Wagtail
14 Black Woodpecker
15 Green Woodpecker
16 Long-tailed Tit
17 Marsh Tit
18 Crested Tit
19 Coal Tit
20 Blue Tit
21 Great Tit
22 Nuthatch
23 Chaffinch
24 Brambling
25 Hawfinch
26 Crossbill
27 Greenfinch
28 Goldfinch
29 Bullfinch
30 Siskin
31 Yellowhammer
32 Tawny Owl
33 Common Buzzard
2 lifers for me on your list. o_O

I spend 15 minutes in garden before heading to my local patch.

#1. Blue Tit - First bird 2024
#2. Great Tit
#3. Jackdaw
#4. Hooded Crow
#5. Feral Pigeon
#6. House Sparrow
#7. Tree Sparrow
#8. Bullfinch
#9. Blackbird
#10. Common Redpoll

and after walk from bedroom/office window:
#11. Magpie

Weather was (and still is) quite crispy, -18 Celsius and freezing wind from North-East. Nothing new so far on Jan. 2nd and it getting dark in a few hours...

Another seven today- Chaffinch, Long-tailed Tit, Goldcrest, Jay, Common Gull, Herring Gull and Buzzard.
A bit short of “Exiled Grip-‘um Leader” but if he looks down (careful now)….he might see me in his wake.🤣

Another seven today- Chaffinch, Long-tailed Tit, Goldcrest, Jay, Common Gull, Herring Gull and Buzzard.
A bit short of “Exiled Grip-‘um Leader” but if he looks down (careful now)….he might see me in his wake.🤣
Too dangerous to go outside and look up or down here, in thick cloud with rain all day, makes me appreciate all the more what a great day I had to kick off 2024 yesterday, dogs and temporary lodger minding meant I was house/garden bound so put in a long session (I even got a bit sunburned !).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back