• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2024 (9 Viewers)

A very slow Spring here. Snow last weekend and -5C two nights ago. The chaffinches arrived 3 weeks ago, a robin 2 weeks ago and this week a pair of wagtails. Not very exciting. The bird feeders are still popular. Normally 10 chaffinch, 10 siskin, some hawfinch, some bullfinch, a pair of yellowhammers plus the usual tits etc. This all indicates that very few birds are breeding, not surprising considering the cold!

#45. Hobby - went NNE. Quite early one. Ah! And this one was also Garden lifer (in this garden)
Congratulations W, that is quite early for up there, I imagine you're not seeing many dragonflies yet! I've only ever had one Spring record here in 8 years, last May in fact. But I've seen two falcon sp this week, a male Peregrine the other day and a smart Kestrel seems to have taken up residence around us this week, by climbing on a chair (don't tell my wife :cool: ) I was able to get a clear view of it perched behind our raspberry canes this afternoon.
First Tree Pipits, Dunnock and Whinchat this morning when I did a walk in the mountains not too far away so hopefully I'll manage a couple of that trio for the Garden List this year....

Attachments

• DSCN1662.JPG
    DSCN1662.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 2
A good start this morning, when the Cetti’s Warbler that has an extensive territory, decided to pop down to its border with my garden, and have a little sing. Just my 2nd record this year.

A Swallow mobbing a high Sparrowhawk made me look up, and spot 2x #73 House Martins.

A nice Sunbow seen this morning too.

IMG_1619.jpeg
IMG_1621.jpeg

A briefly singing Treecreeper was also just my 2nd record this year. A strange species here, I see it fairly often, but there is a small gap when they disappear, I assume to breed, before turning up again. I had a family party last year. I say strange because the blank gap seems to be getting earlier year by year. Can they really be breeding so much earlier?

IMG_1659.jpeg

Later a Gull mobbing a couple of single Buzzards made me look up again, and culminated in a kettle of 6 Buzzards, possibly my largest flock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back