• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Genderquestion (1 Viewer)

JonasB

I got this joke from a friend asking which is the female and it's obvious which one they want you to pic but I started to wonder, How can you tell male from female when you look at gulls?
Photo of gulls
should be animated

thanks
/JonasB

Attachments

• gulls.gif
    gulls.gif
    22.5 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Hi Jonas,

And welcome to Bird Forum. Actually I'm not sure which one I'm 'supposed' to pick as the female in your picture but I reckon the real female is probably the one on the left as we look. It looks a bit smaller than the other. Size difference between small females and large males is often quite noticeable in the larger gulls, especially when you see a pair together.

Hi Jonas,

May I wish you a warm welcome to Birdforum from all the Admin, Staff and Moderators. I hope you enjoy your time with us and that you stay and look around.

I suspect if I gave the answer you are looking for I might get into trouble with some members of Birdforum ;)

Hi Jonas,

Publicly, I'm saying nothing (but privately, I'm laughing my head off!!!)

I see what we are suspected to say... ;)
Actually I think the left one is the female as Andrew has already said (also for the reasons he stated)

Jörn

Funny guys here :hi:

Back to my question: As I understand it there is no real differense between the male and female guls, only size.
I found on an other site that the colour change with age and if you consider that it could be that the one to the right are older and for that reason bigger and they are the same sex.

Can I be on to something or are I'm just lost as usual??? (o)<

/JonasB

Hi Jonas,

Gulls, like all birds, reach full size very quickly, more or less as soon as they fledge from the nest. Therefore, size is not useful in determining age (except for nestlings). On the other hand plumage, as you mention, is often very useful particularly in long-lived groups such as gulls, which take a long time to mature.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back