• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Getting back into photography, which lens (1 Viewer)

John_spraggett

Hi all I am look at getting back into bird photography after a 6 year break .
This means starting again from scratch with my equipment.

I have been looking at both the tamron and sigma 150-600 mm lenses and can’t decide which to get .
I’d love to here opinions on these lenses and which you think I should get and why .
Thanks in advance

When you say the Sigma, I'm assuming that you're talking about the Sigma C - which is the same ~ weight and price ballpark.

I have the Tamron G2 which is currently being run on a Nikon D7200.

I would highly recommend this lens. High Quality construction, and tuneable via the tap-in console. If you AF fine tune as well then it's about as well matched to the individual units as production items at that price range can get.

Worth whatever extra spend over the Siggy C, to me.

Chosun :gh:

I have decided to go with the tamron (Nikon fit) , I am not new to photography but I am new to Nikon cameras . I am currently looking at secondhand Nikon’s any advice?
Thanks for your reply

I have decided to go with the tamron (Nikon fit) , I am not new to photography but I am new to Nikon cameras . I am currently looking at secondhand Nikon’s any advice?
Thanks for your reply

Make sure it's the G2 Tamron, as that's the one with the tap-in dock, better weather sealing and quality, and quite a few other improvements.

The 7fps 24MP D7200 2nd hand is a great match. Still one of the best crop sensors.
The 8fps 21MP D7500 is also available new too.
The 10fps 21MP D500 is also available new too. This is the King. A good step up in AF. Worth it if you find an excellent condition one in your budget range.

These 3 particular APS-C bodies will also let you shoot in 1.3x in-camera crop mode. This cuts out a lot of extraneous sky and cuts down on file sizes. It turns the 150-600 G2 Tammy into a 225-1200mm equivalent lens by switching into the 1.3x mode on the go.

You could also go for a full frame 24MP D750 body if you will mostly shoot in low light. You will lose the crop factors, but can go some of the way in post processing.

I should add that I carry my rig around on a Black Rapid Sports sling. I'd recommend investing in this type of a system.

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed reply , I have purchased the tamron and it is the g2 version. And after looking at some photos in the gallery taken with this lens and the D7200 I have decided to take your advice .
It seems a good combination, once again thanks for your input

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back