• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thinking of buying a new OM-1 mk2 (2 Viewers)

10ForCash

United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am looking to replace my Nikon P1000 for a new OM-1 mk2 with this lens, Olympus OM SYSTEM M.Zuiko Digital ED 150-600mm F/5.0-6.3 IS Lens.

As its such a lot of money its a bit of a worry if a little overkill as Ive only started getting into photography of birds. I bought the P1000 which has an incredible zoom but not the picture quality. Does anyone else have this above combo ? Thanks.

I would be worried about the camera to subject distance with this lens and the relative view angle. The Olympus 100-400mm will more versatile. On the OM-1 MFT camera it provides the view angles of a 200-800mm with a full frame camera.

Hi all,
I am looking to replace my Nikon P1000 for a new OM-1 mk2 with this lens, Olympus OM SYSTEM M.Zuiko Digital ED 150-600mm F/5.0-6.3 IS Lens.

As its such a lot of money its a bit of a worry if a little overkill as Ive only started getting into photography of birds. I bought the P1000 which has an incredible zoom but not the picture quality. Does anyone else have this above combo ? Thanks.
That's a heavy lens--2.06kg; I wouldn't want to lug it around. Also, afaik it's basically the same lens sigma has offered for years but with a m4/3 mount and a higher price. The popular bird photography lenses for m4/3 are the 100-400mm zoom lenses and the 300mm f4 prime with the 1.4 teleconverter. Those have ample reach for most bird photography situations; and if you need even more reach you can add teleconverters (or the 2x tc in the case of the prime). But if you don't care about weight, I suppose it's something to consider.

Thanks everyone for your advice and thoughts 🙏
Weight is a concern but I was looking for something with a good zoom. I will have a look at both lenses mentioned. Thanks, Its such a worry spending this sort of money and then getting it wrong.

Hi Steve
Buying second hand for this sort of money scares me a bit, I'm the one who would recieve the faulty or damaged one lol. I'm fortunate in the fact that I'm lucky to be able to do Overtime at a decent rate to pay for it so I thought go new. As I'm starting from scratch I thought the mk2 would be the best option, maybe if upgrading from a OM-1 to the mk2 maybe that wouldn't justify the cost difference 🤔. Just wanna get it right first time but I think the lense is the biggest problem as I have been used to the incredible zoom on the Nikon P1000.

I think the lense is the biggest problem as I have been used to the incredible zoom on the Nikon P1000.
Bear in mind that with the larger 4/3 sensor, you will be able to effectively "zoom" more than the magnification of the lens, compared to the P1000, by cropping. Still probably won't match the ridiculous zoom of the P1000 (3000mm), but you can't get ridiculous zoom and image quality and still keep weight/cost under control.

Last edited:
Hi Steve
Buying second hand for this sort of money scares me a bit, I'm the one who would recieve the faulty or damaged one lol. I'm fortunate in the fact that I'm lucky to be able to do Overtime at a decent rate to pay for it so I thought go new. As I'm starting from scratch I thought the mk2 would be the best option, maybe if upgrading from a OM-1 to the mk2 maybe that wouldn't justify the cost difference 🤔. Just wanna get it right first time but I think the lense is the biggest problem as I have been used to the incredible zoom on the Nikon P1000.
I buy a fair bit of second hand when I do buy, if you use reputable dealers- Park Cameras, SRS or FFordes are all ones I've used, you have a guarantee of sorts, although the prices won't be rock bottom.

The 100-400mm lens weighs only 2.46 lbs as compared to the full frame Nikon 180-600mm lens that weighs 4.3 lbs. The only way to go lighter is to go to cheaper lenses with a much smaller maximum aperture that will require shooting at much higher ISO settings.

Hi Steve
Buying secondhand from places like LCE and MPB all come with a guarantee. I’ve noticed quite a lot of OM1s MK1 coming up secondhand. I buy 90% of camera gear secondhand and never had a problem.

I've become so used to the zoom lens it's hard to get my head round the 300mm prime lens not being a zoom and actually how good it would be as its only a certain focal length. Not being able to zoom in or out 🤔

I do not know if you ever use the wide range of your current setup. If you do, you might get a surprise in either having to use your phone for this type of shot or bring a second lens for your new camera (and being prepared to change lenses while you are out).
Niels

I've become so used to the zoom lens it's hard to get my head round the 300mm prime lens not being a zoom and actually how good it would be as its only a certain focal length. Not being able to zoom in or out 🤔
I own both the Oly 100-400 and 300 F4 In good light the 100-400 for me is great. The 300 F4 is stellar. Very sharp. Also use 300 with 1.4 ext. I prefer a zoom also but when in the woods trying to get pics of warblers the 300 just performs better to allow lower ISO with dual sync. Don't think you can go wrong with either. 150-600 might be best if you shoot from hides or your car. I carried a big Sigma in the past when i shot Canon. Bugger was heavy. If you get one suggest you use a cotton carrier type harness to carry. A camera strap only is tough on the neck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back