• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Getting my first DSLR and have some questions (1 Viewer)

Colin06

United States
Hello, so I've been planning to get a DSLR and lens. I've been shooting birds with a Lumix FZ80 for over a year now and figured I'd upgrade. I plan on getting the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary. The thing I can't decide between is either the Nikon D500 or Cannon 90D. They're both in my price range of $1600 USD, but I'm not sure which to choose, so I was hoping that you guys could give me some input.

I was also thinking that I could also get the Nikon D7500 and pair it with the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR Lens. Would I get better quality with that setup than I would with the D500 and Sigma?

At that level, trust me, the shots would be superb from either.
My advice, if you want to get best value for money, is to buy from a reputable second hand dealer, warranted.
You will save a fortune, get a better camera for your money, and lose less when you upgrade. There are plenty of mint condition pampered cameras around from people who immediately upgrade when a new model shows up!!
I would give ebay a wide berth, and go through a dealer/shop to get a warranty and peace of mind.
The best one for you will be the one with the better user experience.
For me it was Nikon, some prefer Canon.
As you have Panasonic already, don't discount the Micro four thirds Panasonic interchangeable lens cameras. The lens line up is extensive, and they happily rival APSC sensor cameras. I have had both.

The Nikon D500 is one of the finest DX cameras on the market. The Nikon 200-500 was tested along side the Sigma 150-600 c and Tamron 150-600 by Nasim Mansurov and the Nikon was the clear winner. The 200-500 works fine with a Nikon 1.4 TC, whereas the Sigma C does not. Also, you'll get a 700mm focal length with Nikon 200-500 + 1.4 TC

That being said, Mansurov then tested the Sigma 150-600 Sport, and this lens took the crown from the Nikon, Tamron, and Sigma C.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back