• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ghana November December 2023 (1 Viewer)

cdor

Belgium
Hi,

Anyone interested in a 1-2 weeks bird trip in November-December 2023 in Ghana with a local guide?

Last edited:
Hi cdor, I'd also be interested in hearing the details! I've looked at birding Ghana independently before, but the exorbitant cost of vehicle hire made me go elsewhere on that occasion. Thanks!

Hi cdor, I tried booking with a company before and never heard back. I'd be interested, could you PM the itinerary and costs. Thanks.

Hi cdor, I'd also be interested in hearing the details! I've looked at birding Ghana independently before, but the exorbitant cost of vehicle hire made me go elsewhere on that occasion. Thanks!
If you are adventurous why not by bus? I made at least 5 trips to Ghana and did it by bus, VERY cheap! Long distance buses are very affordable and taxis can be used to reach individual sites but local help is needed to negotiate taxi fares! I have trip reports on birding by bus in Ghana.

Mike

If you are adventurous why not by bus? I made at least 5 trips to Ghana and did it by bus, VERY cheap! Long distance buses are very affordable and taxis can be used to reach individual sites but local help is needed to negotiate taxi fares! I have trip reports on birding by bus in Ghana.

Mike
I think the price quoted here is fairly reasonable for such a trip, certainly compared to going with a tour company. Not many places where you can do two weeks, fully guided for £2K

Mike
It's a fair point Mike, and maybe I'll end up doing a combination of the two - buses for accessible and easier sites, rental vehicle for the remainder of the trip. I do like the freedom and flexibility though of having my own vehicle, in countries where that is possible (and I've got on fine in plenty of others where one can't hire a car!). Not least because you can carry plenty of groceries and water with you, and sleep in the car if necessary! Not sure I'd fancy the up-country run for Egyptian Plover by public transport mind; might take a few days plus long hikes to get to the necessary locations!

It's a fair point Mike, and maybe I'll end up doing a combination of the two - buses for accessible and easier sites, rental vehicle for the remainder of the trip. I do like the freedom and flexibility though of having my own vehicle, in countries where that is possible (and I've got on fine in plenty of others where one can't hire a car!). Not least because you can carry plenty of groceries and water with you, and sleep in the car if necessary! Not sure I'd fancy the up-country run for Egyptian Plover by public transport mind; might take a few days plus long hikes to get to the necessary locations!
Yes you are right about Egyptian Plover, I did that with a guide + car, great sightings and remarkably tame as one of the pair was on a beach surrounded by kids playing in the water while the other watched from the other side of the river.
Mike

There is a large bridge over a river on the main road up north where you can see Egyptian Plovers from the side of the main road - or at least there was a few years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back