• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Glossy Ibis at Cambridge (1 Viewer)

jqmhelios

The past few days the same glossy ibis I referred to earlier has been seen in the same place again: at Chesterton Fen near the river just south of the A14. It uses the large field and surrounding fields for foraging and I think the best time to view it is in the morning, however today it was very foggy and I am guessing the sighting was made in the afternoon.
Given it was seen yesterday and today, it is overwhelmingly likely it will still be there tomorrow, and I myself will head down from Ely to check it out.
Wouldn't mind letting off steam and cycling up to Waterbeach as well.
Storm Bella was quite something. We had 80km/h gusts down in Ely, and I heard the Isle of Wight got 170km/h gusts...

Interesting it is when the birds get tired of you coming to visit them all the time, and come to you!
Initially there were 3 glossy ibis apparently from Spain loitering at Earith for at least a month, maybe more, think they were first seen in October. However, starting from the 24th, one of their number, or a new bird altogether, took up residence at Chesterton Fen on the outskirts of Cambridge and was seen by a number of visitors. I myself spent the morning in the right place and for hours could not see it and had to compensate by trying to see the owls at Waterbeach, though similarly was unsuccessful. However, I then became aware of what I thought was a crow barely visible through the big hedge at the fen, but then caught sight of the bill. My time was taken trying to view the fields from another side, which involved cycling through a massive 15-meter long puddle, but I couldn't see it. When I returned to the place, however, I saw the glossy ibis no problem, feeding out on the field, easily visible from the path next to the lake. It took me a few tries by I eventually got some good images, which is not easy to do with so much prickly brush in front of you. However, the ibis then flew to a neighboring field where it was much easier to view, with a big hole in the hedge. Here, it was mostly interested in feeding, however at one point it decided to briefly join a little egret foraging on the field as well.
I've seen these birds plenty of times in Spain, and can't believe I'm always so surprised by how small they look compared to what I always think. However I was certainly not expecting them to turn up at all in the UK, much less so extremely close to a rail station which is one stop away from mine!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back