• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goa, India - Pipit identification (2 Viewers)

zanderkay

India
Hi. Having trouble figuring out what pipit this is. Have narrowed it down to either paddyfield or Richard's pipit. Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC_1012.JPG
    DSC_1012.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 43
  • DSC_1013.JPG
    DSC_1013.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 42
Sorry not sure if those pictures are clear. Sending some more.

Attachments

• DSC_1012.jpg
    DSC_1012.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_1013.jpg
    DSC_1013.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_1014.jpg
    DSC_1014.jpg
    448.8 KB · Views: 37
Hi, I am answering in large part to bump it up and to learn, but in my inexpert opinion it is Paddyfields, based on the hind toe not being extraordinarily long and that the stripes on the back merge, both I believe are marks of Paddyfield. But as I mentioned I am struggling to id the two where I often bird, where paddyfield is common and Richard's is unusual. I hope my bumping your post up results in one or more of the experts having an opportunity to look at your photos.
all the best

Not a Richard's with dark lores ; the Paddyfield is very common in Goa and India in general. Just a question : how did you exclude Tawny Pipit?

Hi, I am answering in large part to bump it up and to learn, but in my inexpert opinion it is Paddyfields, based on the hind toe not being extraordinarily long and that the stripes on the back merge, both I believe are marks of Paddyfield. But as I mentioned I am struggling to id the two where I often bird, where paddyfield is common and Richard's is unusual. I hope my bumping your post up results in one or more of the experts having an opportunity to look at your photos.
all the best
Hi. Thanks. I too thought the same at first. My only reason for considering Richard's was that I have seen paddyfield before, and this one seemed larger with a longer tail.

Do u think tawny pipit is a possibility because of the dark lores?
No, it is a Paddyfield Pipit IMO, but I wondered why you excluded Tawny. I've seen plenty of Tawny in North Africa and Europe, but never in India although I see many records from other people, so I'm interested to understand why I overlook them or if I'm simply not lucky with this species.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back