• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden eagles - RSPB Ruthven (1 Viewer)

Robinroe

United Kingdom
Would anybody know if there are golden eagles in this area? I visited last October and saw what I thought was three eagles circling above a hill / mountain on the road down to the carpark.
Distance ( best guess,approx quarter of a mile) height, and no other birds around to really compare size made it difficult to tell through binoculars but they looked huge. As they circled one bird had round white spots towards the end of both wings and from what I could see, the rest of the wing looked a darker colour.

To my relatively untrained eye they didn't look like buzzards and were definitely not red kites. I am aware that people can visit Scotland numerous times and never be lucky enough to see eagles, could I possibly have seen three all at once?

In Spain in autumn I have seen a juvenile of the year soaring with two adult Golden Eagles, presumably its parents. I doubt if this is unusual. The one with the white markings would have been the young bird if indeed they were Golden Eagles.

It's so difficult to gauge the size and distance. I have seen golden eagles in the findhorn valley and Skye but there was buzzards and ravens around to compare the size difference and of course these places are well known strongholds and I was with more experienced birders. On this occasion I was on my own and I haven't read anything with regards to golden eagle sightings at Ruthven.

Hi Rob. I’ve seen three together on a few occasions so no issues there. And the location isn’t too far from the Findhorn so that wouldn’t be a problem either I’d have thought.

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back