• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden Jackals in northern Europe (1 Viewer)

They tend to avoid places where Wolves live, so how about if the Scandinavians would stop shooting those!

There've been a few in the Netherlands as well. I don't think they'll be much added danger on top of foxes, martens and rats.

Yes I was wondering if wolves would drive them out if they encountered them, just like they do with coyotes in North America.

In terms of status, there is no difference between Golden Jackals in N Europe and vagrant birds or whales.

The opportunity has been gifted the jackals by wolf shooters. In common with the ability of foxes to survive persecution, these smaller predators will fly under the radar and cause more problems than the apex predators that denied them entry for centuries.

John

The opportunity has been gifted the jackals by wolf shooters. In common with the ability of foxes to survive persecution, these smaller predators will fly under the radar and cause more problems than the apex predators that denied them entry for centuries.

John
Well, arctic fox survives in Norway because of human management (including red fox culling), all the rest are well under the radar of hunting and prosecution.
I agree they will be more problematic, but the easy way of NIMBY working with those creatures make me thing they won't thrive either. It has never been, at least for decades, a matter of lack of knowledge, but a matter of human fears, it is not even a financial or economical problem for farmers.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back