• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good birding regions in the tropic jungle areas of Colombia: Your recommendations (1 Viewer)

Turns out I have some time off. Whew!

I live in Colombia but have never been to the rain forest/tropical regions. Please be so kind as to make some recommendations for an area rich in tropical bird life.

What is the main city to fly into? (Flights from Bogotá I assume).

It would be me and a sufficient pair of Leica 10x25s . . . Gotta work with what you have, right?

Note: I am thinking that Leticia is the city (and airport) and possibly Puerto Nariño the pueblo for a bird-watching expedition.

The Amazon is indisputably Colombia’s true bird watching paradise. With over 750 bird species in the Colombian Amazon, one-third of the country’s overall bird population lives here. The various indigenous communities that neighbor the famous Amacayacu National Park are a good place to spend the night and awake early for a chance to look for the 470 species of birds found in the park, including the sought after Amazonian Umbrellabird and striking Hoatzin.

Various river islands that are in constant change, lying in the middle of the great river itself, also provide great birds, such as Osprey, Bat Falcon, Great Black Hawk, Cream-coloured Woodpecker among endless species of parrot.

Puerto Nariño is also an ideal location in the Amazon for a chance to see flocks of more than twenty species of parrots. Parakeets, macaws, antbirds, and woodpeckers can be seen on the banks of the Amazon River.

Leticia, Mitù and Puerto Inirida are three excellent options with direct flights from Bogotà and fantastic birding opportunities in Amazonian rainforest
Would you by chance have a hotel recommendation? Since I do not know the region I'd stay in Leticia initially. There are various hotel options some of them right in town, others quite a ways away.

If you're set on Leticia, contact Amazon Bird Lodge Log in or sign up to view or Otto Valerio (guide) direct at Log in or sign up to view

I have not been to Leticia but have been twice to both Mitua and Puerto Inirida which are each superb. note that none of the three options will be particularly cheap.

Closer to home, going down the east slope to Villavicencio is excellent with hotspots like Bosque Bavaria (outskirts of the city), Monterredondo en route, Rancho Camana etc.

Putumayo is also superb and offers a bit more in the way of economical, lowland/foothill birding options at sites around Mocoa, Puerto Asis, Reserva la Isla Escondida (R.N. La Isla Escondida – Eco lodge en selva primaria amazónica) etc. Good guides in the area include:
Edilson Rosero (Mocoa) Log in or sign up to view and
Diego Rocha Log in or sign up to view

In Putumayo you can also get out into the Amazon proper at Puerto Leguizamo, though security I believe is a little more of an issue these days. Either of the above guides should be able to give you up to date info on that area. Another good source if info for birding Leguizamo and the areaa around Florencia (also superb) is Jorge Muñoz Log in or sign up to view

If you're set on Leticia, contact Amazon Bird Lodge Log in or sign up to view or Otto Valerio (guide) direct at Log in or sign up to view

I have not been to Leticia but have been twice to both Mitua and Puerto Inirida which are each superb. note that none of the three options will be particularly cheap.

Closer to home, going down the east slope to Villavicencio is excellent with hotspots like Bosque Bavaria (outskirts of the city), Monterredondo en route, Rancho Camana etc.

Putumayo is also superb and offers a bit more in the way of economical, lowland/foothill birding options at sites around Mocoa, Puerto Asis, Reserva la Isla Escondida (R.N. La Isla Escondida – Eco lodge en selva primaria amazónica) etc. Good guides in the area include:
Edilson Rosero (Mocoa) Log in or sign up to view and
Diego Rocha Log in or sign up to view

In Putumayo you can also get out into the Amazon proper at Puerto Leguizamo, though security I believe is a little more of an issue these days. Either of the above guides should be able to give you up to date info on that area. Another good source if info for birding Leguizamo and the areaa around Florencia (also superb) is Jorge Muñoz Log in or sign up to view
Thank you for this information. Excuse the delay in responding.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back