• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good Clothing? (2 Viewers)

I've recently learned that snake-proof boots exist. I haven't bought any yet because I can't go and try them on, but they seem like an excellent idea. I've done some research into them, and I've read that they do actually work quite well- snakes can't bite too terribly hard, so can't pierce the material. There's also a sort of shin guard device you can use, that straps onto your lower legs and can work with many types of footwear. Both are meant to protect the legs from snake bites, as most snake bites that don't occur from handling the snake, happen when someone treads on one.

Depending on where you live, this may or may not be needed. I live in Texas, which means snake protection is generally a good idea. We have many snakes, including multiple venomous species. I don't intend to step on any intentionally, and I do my best to watch my step when exploring, but the boots seem like a good precaution just in case. They're effective against thorns as well, which is nice, and will probably come in use frequently.
My visits to Texas (and Arizona & Mexico), I never saw a single snake. But something that's proof against agave spikes and cholla spines, is definitely worthwhile!

Yeah, you often don't see the snakes, especially during the day. It's hard to tell if you didn't come near any snakes, or if you just didn't see them. I've seen people walk within almost an arm's length of a four-foot water snake without noticing it, and it wasn't even one of the really well-camouflaged species. Rattlesnakes will usually warn you if you get close, but not in areas with a lot of feral hogs. Feral hogs like to eat snakes, and their skin and fat are so thick that they're basically immune to the bites. So now rattlesnakes are being selected for ones that rattle less, or not at all, since all the loud ones are found and eaten by hogs. Or by misguided people, who think they're making it safer by killing every snake they see.
I don't expect everyone who comes to Texas to get bitten by something, but, given how painful and potentially dangerous a venomous snake bite is, I think the boots are good to have. Plus, they're tall enough for good ankle support, which doesn't hurt anything.

Once I can get a pair, I think I'm going to intentionally test it on some of the decorative agaves in the neighborhood. Good way to check how they'll do against thorns. Around here, it's the prickly pear cacti that are a big problem, there are lots of them and some varieties are really sharp.

I like cargo trousers with the leg pockets. I've a pair that have a cosy lining.

Often meant to buy a pair of shooting gloves (the type where you can uncover the 'trigger finger'), which would make it easier to finely adjust the focusing on binoculars and telescopes. And a nice thermal hat that covers the ears.

I keep an extra jumper in the car, just in case.
I need to sort out some 'proper' gloves, so will take a look at the 'shooting' gloves,,

In the winter months I find that good quality moleskin trousers are very warm and comfortable. I also have a tweed 'Hucclecoat' in various green weaves, complete with a gortex drop liner that I have used and abused for 25 years that is both warm and waterproof as well as extremely hard wearing. As mentioned by other posters a pair of good gortex lines walking boots are a must for wet winter months.

Regarding coats, would definitely recommend one that's windproof as well as waterproof - agree windproof layers make a big difference. Also found coats with underarm ventilation zips helpful to prevent overheating or cooling down too much/too quickly, and if you're likely to use a rucksack, coats that place the pockets higher to work with hip belts are handy (like mountaineering coats). My old coat had pockets which were inaccessible any time I had a rucksack... Current coat has higher & longer pockets instead. Agree waterproof trousers good - personally like the ones that are trousers instead of "over trousers". For hats I use beanie hats for warmth (one is thinner than the other so works better as a layer) and if sunny a wide brimmed hat on top. It helps with the low sun as well as being useful in summer and is windproof. Been using wool gloves - so far the only gloves that actually keep my hands warm, but the 'shooting' gloves do sound good. Like others, the beanie hat(s) & gloves come all year round just in case. Final thing to add, as well as clothes/gear, would recommend using Nikwax for reproofing & cleaning everything.

Last edited:
My visits to Texas (and Arizona & Mexico), I never saw a single snake. But something that's proof against agave spikes and cholla spines, is definitely worthwhile!
This surprises me. When hiking the Arizona National Scenic Trail and the Pacific Crest Trail, snakes were very common. Fortunately the Rattle Snakes give a clear warning well in advance.

When hiking (and birding) the Bibbulmun Track in south-west Australia, Australian hikers warned me that I better wear gaiters because especially the southern part had many Tiger Snakes (deadly). So I followed their advice. And it turned out to be true: I encountered on average about 3 Tiger Snakes per day in the southern part. And unlike Rattle Snakes they don't warn you. I'm sure that I have probably overlooked the majority of them.

One of the wonderful things of hiking/ birding in Australia was that birds often gave away the presence of a Tiger Snake. The snakes hunt the birds, so birds sound the alarm and keep an eye on the snake. If I heard agitated birds in the forest, it often turned out to be a Tiger Snake causing it.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back