• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good modestly priced compacts? (1 Viewer)

Overland

United States
I'm sure this is a tired subject, but I've been looking through reviews and my head is spinning. I need a lightweight pair of binos to take canoeing, kayaking, etc. I'm hoping to spend no more than about $300. (I'm willing to buy used.) Here are some of the binos that I've been looking at:

Vortex Diamondback 8x28 or 8x32
Nikon Prostaff 7s 8 x30
Zeiss Terra ED 8x25 (or 8x32)
Maven C2 7x28

I'll be grateful for any advice.

I'm sure this is a tired subject, but I've been looking through reviews and my head is spinning. I need a lightweight pair of binos to take canoeing, kayaking, etc. I'm hoping to spend no more than about $300. (I'm willing to buy used.) Here are some of the binos that I've been looking at:

Nikon Prostaff 7s 8 x30
Maven C2 7x28

Overland,

Based on my experience:
The Vortex DB (HD version) 8x28 is a good bin for the money, never seen the 8x32;
No experience with the Prostaff.
Terra 8x25 is a very good mid range "cargo pocket" model. I also have the first version of the Terra 8x32. A very nice bin with excellent close focus if that matters. But at full MSRP of $400 the new 32mm version are a bit overpriced IMO, great bargain if you can find one for @$300.
I got a sub par uneven focuser on my Maven 7x28 and never got around to swapping it out. When I fiddle with it and get a sharp image it is very good. It does have a decent FoV but very narrow AFoV if that matters. The 7x is generally better than 8x for use on the water as it's easier to maintain a stable image.

For your intended use it may come down to size and weight. The quality of view in differing conditions and all around utility will likely be better with one of the 30/32mm but they are slightly larger and heavier than the 25/28mm. Eye relief may also be an important issue if you will be using them regularly with glasses. All the ones I own discussed above have adequate ER for me (14 mm or better) but YMMV depending on your glasses and facial anatomy.

Let us know how it goes.

Mike

Nikon Prostaff 7s 8 x30
Maven C2 7x28

I'm just going to jump in here and wish a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Last edited:
Hi,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

And then the usual question - will you wear glasses when using the bins?

Joachim

For canoeing and kayaking I would just get Sightron Blue Sky 8x32 for $99.95 and then if you drop them in the river it is not like losing a $300 binocular, and they are just as good optically if not better than anything on your list, and they are waterproof and tough.

I have the Diamondback HD 8x32 and the Zeiss Terra ED 8x25 and have compared them many times, for me Diamondback are:
  • Brighter in cloudy days.
  • Have a much wider Field of view.
  • Are way more comfortable to use, single hinge, regular size eyecups.
  • And if you're going to do some severe stuff with them, Vortex has a great warranty.

In my personal experience, the only area where the Terra outperform the Diamondback is the width when folded, because they're actually the same height (the Terra are actually a hair taller). The 8x25 Terra are 310 g and the 8x32 Diamondback HD are 450 g, is not massive (say, the Terra are not a 200 g lightweight 8x20).

captura-de-pantalla-2022-01-14-a-las-17-26-53-png.1424584
captura-de-pantalla-2022-01-14-a-las-17-28-30-png.1424586

captura-de-pantalla-2022-01-14-a-las-17-27-19-png.1424588

Yes, the Terra maybe has an edge on contrast, but the field of view is narrow, so the image on the Diamonback appears way more engaging. And then, the Terra have a finicky eye position, a really fussy double hinge (wouldn't want to be on a kayak and single hand a double hinge binocular with a very small exit pupil, narrow eyecups and very sensitive eye position). In addition to this, the Diamondback are cheaper. For me, unless you absolutely need the folded size of the Terra, the Diamondback is a more sensible option, but YMMV, as they say.

I have the Diamondback HD 8x32 and the Zeiss Terra ED 8x25 and have compared them many times, for me Diamondback are:
  • Brighter in cloudy days.
  • Have a much wider Field of view.
  • Are way more comfortable to use, single hinge, regular size eyecups.
  • And if you're going to do some severe stuff with them, Vortex has a great warranty.

In my personal experience, the only area where the Terra outperform the Diamondback is the width when folded, because they're actually the same height (the Terra are actually a hair taller). The 8x25 Terra are 310 g and the 8x32 Diamondback HD are 450 g, is not massive (say, the Terra are not a 200 g lightweight 8x20).

captura-de-pantalla-2022-01-14-a-las-17-26-53-png.1424584
captura-de-pantalla-2022-01-14-a-las-17-28-30-png.1424586

captura-de-pantalla-2022-01-14-a-las-17-27-19-png.1424588

Yes, the Terra maybe has an edge on contrast, but the field of view is narrow, so the image on the Diamonback appears way more engaging. And then, the Terra have a finicky eye position, a really fussy double hinge (wouldn't want to be on a kayak and single hand a double hinge binocular with a very small exit pupil, narrow eyecups and very sensitive eye position). In addition to this, the Diamondback are cheaper. For me, unless you absolutely need the folded size of the Terra, the Diamondback is a more sensible option, but YMMV, as they say.
I have had the Diamondback 8x32, Terra 8x25, and the Sightron Blue Sky 8x32. The only problem I have with the Diamondback and the Terra is their poor low light performance, which might be important in canoeing or kayaking because often times you are in a canyon where it can be darker than out in open country. Terra's are not known for their brightness, and that is their big weakness. Even though the Sightron Blue Sky 8x32 will not compare to a Zeiss Conquest or Meopta Meostar in brightness, I found it brighter than the Diamondback or Terra.

James Holsworth quoted on the Terra 8x25 "Brightness is hard to judge - the 8x25 works fine in daylight but suffers noticeably as the light drops. I would not be relying on these for any dawn / dusk work, but that was a given from the start."

Last edited:
@[email protected] I think you're mixing 8x28 and 8x32 Diamondback. My comment was about the 8x32. If you're indeed talking about the 8x32 Diamondback HD I really fail to understand how can you say that the DB H 8x32 (mind you, I'm not talking about the 8x28) have a "poor low light performance". We have to remember it is an 8x32 (not an 8x28 or an 8x56) but, since you like Allbinos tests (so do I) and usually give them credit, simply check the Diamondback HD 8x32 light transmission against other well known devices. For example, a really nice 8x30 for the price has always been the Monarch 7 8x30 and also its siblings, like the Opticron Traveller 8x32, I've used both for years and I would never say (and I've never heard anyone saying) they have a poor low light performance within their format, a humble x32. Check Allbinos: Monarch 7 vs Diamondback HD

Monarch7_DBHD.jpeg

Their performance is quite similar: both start at 80something % (actually, the DB has a higher figure in the 400-500 range (I guess hardly perceptible anyway). Both reach to touch the 90 % figure between 600 - 700. In fact, their final figure is basically the same, within the margin of test-error: 85,1 for the Monarch and 84,6 for the Diamondback HD. But then, remember the Monarch is way more expensive. So I really struggle to see the Diamondback as a "dark" 8x32 (especially for the price). No, it's not a Habicht (nor does it intend to be) and yes, my 8x32 ELSV is a little brighter, but I don't think you can say a bad word about the light transmission of the Diamondback HD 8x32.

In fact, coming back to the Sightron Bluesky 8x32 that you mention. While I haven't found any transmission figures for the Sightron, its sibling the Kenko Ultraview (by most accounts, an extremely similar model made in the same factory in the Philippines, if not actually the exact same binoculars) was tested by Allbinos and, oh, the surprise: it got a way worse light transmission performance than the Diamondback HD. While the Vortex reaches the 90 % at some point and gets a 84,6 % overall figure, the Kenko (Sightron sibling) doesn't reach the 90 % at any point and and has an overall figure of just 81,9 %. While I can't say that the Sightron shares this exact results, I would be really very much surprised if it got a better transmission figure than the Diamondback HD, especially one that could be perceived.

KenkoUV832.jpeg

@[email protected] I think you're mixing 8x28 and 8x32 Diamondback. My comment was about the 8x32. If you're indeed talking about the 8x32 Diamondback HD I really fail to understand how can you say that the DB H 8x32 (mind you, I'm not talking about the 8x28) have a "poor low light performance". We have to remember it is an 8x32 (not an 8x28 or an 8x56) but, since you like Allbinos tests (so do I) and usually give them credit, simply check the Diamondback HD 8x32 light transmission against other well known devices. For example, a really nice 8x30 for the price has always been the Monarch 7 8x30 and also its siblings, like the Opticron Traveller 8x32, I've used both for years and I would never say (and I've never heard anyone saying) they have a poor low light performance within their format, a humble x32. Check Allbinos: Monarch 7 vs Diamondback HD

View attachment 1435611

Their performance is quite similar: both start at 80something % (actually, the DB has a higher figure in the 400-500 range (I guess hardly perceptible anyway). Both reach to touch the 90 % figure between 600 - 700. In fact, their final figure is basically the same, within the margin of test-error: 85,1 for the Monarch and 84,6 for the Diamondback HD. But then, remember the Monarch is way more expensive. So I really struggle to see the Diamondback as a "dark" 8x32 (especially for the price). No, it's not a Habicht (nor does it intend to be) and yes, my 8x32 ELSV is a little brighter, but I don't think you can say a bad word about the light transmission of the Diamondback HD 8x32.

In fact, coming back to the Sightron Bluesky 8x32 that you mention. While I haven't found any transmission figures for the Sightron, its sibling the Kenko Ultraview (by most accounts, an extremely similar model made in the same factory in the Philippines, if not actually the exact same binoculars) was tested by Allbinos and, oh, the surprise: it got a way worse light transmission performance than the Diamondback HD. While the Vortex reaches the 90 % at some point and gets a 84,6 % overall figure, the Kenko (Sightron sibling) doesn't reach the 90 % at any point and and has an overall figure of just 81,9 %. While I can't say that the Sightron shares this exact results, I would be really very much surprised if it got a better transmission figure than the Diamondback HD, especially one that could be perceived.

View attachment 1435612
I was just not impressed with the Vortex Diamondback 8x32's. At their price point, I preferred the Sightron's, but we are all different. Chill4x4 didn't care for the Vortex's either, quoting he would return them, but he is probably used to more expensive binoculars. One member mfunnell in this thread mentioned he preferred the Sightron's also. The Diamondback's do have the advantage of a compact size, but for the view I prefer the Sightron at this price point.

Chill 4x4 (What ever happened to Chill4x4?)
"In conclusion on this very SHORT review... If these were going to be mine, back they'd go. Still debating that. A little too much compromise on optics for me to be pleased, even at this price point. I wouldn't re-buy OR recommend. Otherwise, most that purchase these will likely be pleased because it will likely be a step up from what they are currently using or have adjusted their expectations accordingly."

mfunnell
"Chuck, I do have the Vortex Diamondback 8x32s and wrote about them here. They are not my favorite 8x32s, but they do have two virtues: they're compact, and they have good close focus. I generally prefer my Sightron 8x32s."

"The real story - at least as near as I can work out - is that these bins(Vortex Diamondback 8x32) have a rather drastic curvature of field, coupled with rather a lot of other uncorrected off-axis aberrations. This would account for the small sweet spot and explains why the transition to the background seems abrupt (off axis, they're really focused way in front of where you think they are) and sort-of explains why the background seems harsh (some complex mixture of uncorrected stuff that I haven't begun to analyze and probably won't bother with). Checking this showed that I don't have to look far from the center to need to change focus a lot to bring off-axis details into focus."

Last edited:
Overland,

If I were you with what I know, I would go to Amazon and buy the Sightron 8X32 for $99.00, I really do not think you will be disappointed. After all, if you spend $300 and are disappointed you will be going down a path you wish you did'nt.

Just my 2Cts

@[email protected] Yes, all very respectable opinions... that don't make the DB have "a poor low light performance" and the Sightron outperform them as you stated.
I also think that would be highly unlikely. If the Sightron is in fact the same model as the Kenko and also the Fujinon KF 8x32W then it has silver coatings. I got one of those Fujinons with silver coatings made in the Philippines -- the KF 10x42W and while it is a nice bino for what I paid (around 170€) and rather sharp -- it will be definitely outperformed by a bino with dielectric coatings like the Diamondback HD -- at least with similar specs, 8x32 vs 8x32. I compared my Fujinon 10x42 to a DDoptics Lux HR 10x42 with dielectric coatings (at around 3x the price) and the Lux is definitely brighter.

There are many subpar binoculars out there with dielectric coatings, because the quality glass is lacking. The problem with many of the budget glass is, did you get a good sample? or do you have to return them for a second attempt? or bail. One thing that can be said is that the Sightron, Fuji KF 8X32 (I have that model) and others coming out of the Philippines tend to have better QA/QC than those coming out of China.

The difference is very small btw. And I do like the Fujinon quite a bit. No other bino looks as cool. And the views are superb. I am considering getting the Sightron or Fujinon 8x32 as birding bino. I actually have no good 8x32 roof prism bino at the moment. But I just bought a Celestron Ultra 8x32 which is lovely. So, it's not like I "need" another bino but when was it ever a question of need? :ROFLMAO:

The difference is very small btw. And I do like the Fujinon quite a bit. No other bino looks as cool. And the views are superb. I am considering getting the Sightron or Fujinon 8x32 as birding bino. I actually have no good 8x32 roof prism bino at the moment. But I just bought a Celestron Ultra 8x32 which is lovely. So, it's not like I "need" another bino but when was it ever a question of need? :ROFLMAO:
For $100 the Sightron 8x32 makes a good glove box or beater binocular or as I said for carrying when kayaking.

Last edited:
There are many subpar binoculars out there with dielectric coatings, because the quality glass is lacking. The problem with many of the budget glass is, did you get a good sample? or do you have to return them for a second attempt? or bail. One thing that can be said is that the Sightron, Fuji KF 8X32 (I have that model) and others coming out of the Philippines tend to have better QA/QC than those coming out of China.
That is true. It is very hard to find a MIC binocular like the Diamondback with the quality of the MIP Sightron.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back