• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good news, giving it a go in Australia (1 Viewer)

Si Clayton

Hi All,
Here's my good news story, to balance the bad.
My wife & I swapped the city apartment for a small block of land next to World Heritage National Parks, and one of Birdlife Internationals Important Bird Areas.
We now live in a caravan without mains power or sewerage, or water, going solar and organic, with rainwater tanks.
Over 18 species of Vulnerable listed(NSW TSC Act) birds are now protected from deforestation and livestock grazing in rare lowland rainforest.
We're supported by NSW Conservation Partners Program and have had the land declared a Wildlife Refuge, with plans to increase the level of this agreement as further survey work is carried out, mostly by me.

We hope to be able to sustain this effort with birding & wildlife tourism, it's hard work as birding isn't as popular here, as it is in UK, Europe & USA. We are working to promote interest in birding in this country, the superb biodiversity of Australia deserves more recognition locally! We currently support this with external employment, which is challenging.

It's easy to support us, visit http://www.birdrangers.com/default.htm and have a look at http://aussiebirding.wildiaries.com/trips/10749 to get a taste of some of the work we're doing. Share the links.

Follow us on twitter, we'll love you forever! Come and visit and you'll get to see some of the 180+ species of bird recorded on the Reserve, including the resident Wompoo Fruit-dove, Paradise Riflebird, Logrunner, Lewins Rail, King Quail and Masked Owls, amongst others.

Hopefully our efforts will work for the land, and we'll be able to upgrade the caravan!:t:

Kind Regards, Mr & Mrs Birdranger

Hi All,
Here's my good news story, to balance the bad.
My wife & I swapped the city apartment for a small block of land next to World Heritage National Parks, and one of Birdlife Internationals Important Bird Areas.
We now live in a caravan without mains power or sewerage, or water, going solar and organic, with rainwater tanks.
Over 18 species of Vulnerable listed(NSW TSC Act) birds are now protected from deforestation and livestock grazing in rare lowland rainforest.
We're supported by NSW Conservation Partners Program and have had the land declared a Wildlife Refuge, with plans to increase the level of this agreement as further survey work is carried out, mostly by me.

We hope to be able to sustain this effort with birding & wildlife tourism, it's hard work as birding isn't as popular here, as it is in UK, Europe & USA. We are working to promote interest in birding in this country, the superb biodiversity of Australia deserves more recognition locally! We currently support this with external employment, which is challenging.

It's easy to support us, visit http://www.birdrangers.com/default.htm and have a look at http://aussiebirding.wildiaries.com/trips/10749 to get a taste of some of the work we're doing. Share the links.

Follow us on twitter, we'll love you forever! Come and visit and you'll get to see some of the 180+ species of bird recorded on the Reserve, including the resident Wompoo Fruit-dove, Paradise Riflebird, Logrunner, Lewins Rail, King Quail and Masked Owls, amongst others.

Hopefully our efforts will work for the land, and we'll be able to upgrade the caravan!:t:

Kind Regards, Mr & Mrs Birdranger

I've had the privilege of a day out with Si - his across-the-board knowledge and awareness is considerable, and he's constantly adding to it - he does many regular surveys, many in superb wet rainforest, and it's quite evident that his spirits are lifted by carrying out his work, and by talking about it. His passion for the subject deserves the support of visiting birders, botanists and lepidopterists!
MJB

Hi MJB,

Thank You, it was a pleasure to enjoy some of the local birds with you and your partner, we don't get a lot of birders here. Perhaps that's part of the appeal of the place, it's not that well known and you can immerse yourself in the environment without the massing hoards! It certainly makes for an absorbing experience, I'm glad you enjoyed and appreciate it.
I've been enjoying your epic journey around Australia, and you've done a superb job of posting all the goodies on Birdforum, it's been rewarding to share it with you, a journey I can only dream of making at the moment. Cheers mate :-0 Thanks for your support, it's making a difference for the birds.

Warm & fuzzy regards,

Hi Si

Do you have a rough idea how long it would take to drive to your Reserve from (just) south of Brisbane, please? I'm guessing about 5 hours, based upon a drive to Lamington last year, but a lot depends upon the roads! Just been blessed with another grand-daughter so I feel a trip coming on.......

Hi Si

Do you have a rough idea how long it would take to drive to your Reserve from (just) south of Brisbane, please? I'm guessing about 5 hours, based upon a drive to Lamington last year, but a lot depends upon the roads! Just been blessed with another grand-daughter so I feel a trip coming on.......

You & me both! First Grandchild expected end of January / beginning of February so another trip being planned for then to Albury NSW. :t:

It sounds wonderful Si. Please keep us abreast of what's happening there.

D

Mike, Neil, Mark, Phil & Delia,

Thankyou all so much for your interest, it's very inspiring, which helps the on-ground work. You've all given me goose bumps!

Neil- You'd be very welcome, just drop us a line via our website.

Mark- Yup, about 5 hours from Bris, a little less perhaps, but no point rushing and missing stuff along the way. Congratulations on the new arrival. Keep in touch.

Phil- Congratulations also, more goose bumps, hope to meet you too.

Delia- Thank you, I will, time permitting, hoping to post regular updates via our website, so I'll put something on this thread periodically, if that's ok.

I don't want to burden the conservation forum with commercial stuff, although it is heavily conservation oriented, we are liasing with various conservation bodies and hope to make firm progress there too.

Thanks again all of you, for your input, it's a great help and I hope we can enjoy some of the goodies together at some point! Feel free to contact me via http://www.birdrangers.com/default.htm

You wondeful people :)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back