• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good places in Ecuador but not too high elevation (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
I am currently hoping to (maybe) go to Ecuador and Galapagos next year. I have a question because I have in the past had problems with altitude sickness: The international flight when we arrive will probably land in Quito which at about 2500 m asl should be OK. However, if there are a few days to go birding before leaving for Galapagos, and the elevation of where we sleep should not be higher than the 2500 m asl, where could we go? I have read a lot of names, but I do not at the moment have any clue to which are at which elevation and which are within easy reach from Quito.

Right now I would probably prefer a lodge with good accommodation where we could stay for a few days and get to know one area.

The time we have is uncertain. If we have enough time to move higher (say 3000-3500 m asl) which areas would then come into play?

thanks
Niels

Last edited:
My first thought would be San Isidro, which I'm pretty sure is only about 2000 m ASL. You could easily spend a couple of days birding around San Isidro. With the airport now moved out of downtown Quito, it is only about 2 hours from the airport.

http://www.cabanasanisidro.com/

If it makes a difference, Quito is around 2800 m ASL. If you are really concerned, you could always fly to Guayaquil and do some coastal or southern Ecuador birding. Most flights to the Galapagos fly out of GYE anyway.

Thanks, I will look into what San Isidro is. The one time I have had problems were at 3500 m asl, and with a stupid itinerary leading up to it (blame me, nobody else). But it does bear mentioning that I live at less than 100 m asl, so just about as low as you can go ;)

I have looked into a Galapagos trip that specifically mentioned Quito as the meeting place, so I think Quito it will be.

thanks
Niels

San Isidro is owned by Mitch Lysinger and his wife, Carmen Busamante, who's sister owns Guango Lodge.

Anyway, Mitch is one of the premier birders in Ecuador, and can certainly answer any bird-related questions you might have.

San Isidro is a nice option. The Mindo area would also be excellent, and might be a bit closer to Quito (about two hours, but I can't quite recall the driving time to San Isidro). I don't have the Mindo elevation on hand but it's certainly lower than Quito.

Thank you for that additional information. I now, unfortunately expect it to be 2015 before we can get on our Galapagos/Ecuador trip.

Niels

I believe you need to go over Papallacta pass (13,000ft) to get to San Isidro. That may be a problem for you depending on how quickly symptoms set in.

Have you considered or tried Diamox?

Alt sickness hits me almost immediately at 10,000ft. I could be a human altimeter. Diamox has gotten me up to 14,000ft.

I would second San Isidro - one of the best organised lodges I went to on my trip this year. It is easy to go higher from here too, back up to the Papallacta area.
Des

Thanks Des,
I am still returning to this thread every once in a while, and hope that my day will come soon.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back