• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Government sanctions cormorant cull to appease anglers (1 Viewer)

Dave on Merlot says....

Is it through range expansion of the cormorant, that they are going to be culled?
Or is it because they quite fancy freshwater fish?
So Nth degree....
I know of 3 places locally that have Otters...
There were no Otters there 5 years ago.
They are now exploiting the better water conditions,
cleaner water means healthier fish, happy fish = happy Otters.
Well hot diggerdeedee....release the freakin' Otter Hounds.
If I should happen across somebody culling cormorants,
or for that matter ruddy duck....I will push the tw*t into the water.
What is the matter with us?....and don't forget...
....If it's too hard, I won't understand it.

Hic Dave

Evenin Boy!

hope you're in fine fettle

they're from germany (possibly thru loss of habitat there), they like the fish too.

Ruddy Duck issues a bit diff too.

Dave - Listenin to the new Libs album - really good stuff. Off to see Pete D in Norwich next weekend - if he's standing, of course.

Good luck to Posh this weekend

Surely it's only a matter of time before someone complains that there are too many otters...

My wine (rather good, German) appears to be Pfalz. Assuming that is a grape variety of course.

Stuart

Tim Allwood said:
Dave - Listenin to the new Libs album - really good stuff. Off to see Pete D in Norwich next weekend - if he's standing, of course.

Good luck to Posh this weekend

Tim,

I'm fine...the liver ain't, but hey!!

Almost beaten to the punch...
...was gonna get the libertines album tomorrow!!..

Methinks Posh, Rams and Forest need as much luck as the cormorants! ;)

Dave.

"Surely it's only a matter of time before someone complains that there are too many otters"...

Bang will go the Eel numbers then.
Will just have to have ice-cream with the jelly then!!
Is the UK government only following the lead of the Germans, (2 years ago), the Italians, (last year) and others who are wishing to control predation on fresh waters by Cormorants.
Displaced birds will take their place unless all of them are destroyed.
The sawbills are already shot under lisence on certain rivers.
Is this (the Cormorant controls) not just an extension of this.

Regards

Malky.

Kevin Mac said:
It should come down to this: if the cormorants are native then live with it: you've only yourself to blame for increasing their food source. Introduced species can really skew the ecosystem. Cull them.
Kevin ,this was the comment which was made by a chap on the local radio station last week.A guy who is into birds and bird conservation.He quoted that man had stocked the rivers with lots of fish(for man to catch,traumatise,and maybe throw back into the river-sorry anglers,nothing personal) He also mentioned that as man is allowing more racing pigeons into the air,which in turn are being caught by raptors(a cull of raptors is also being mentioned from time to time!!) so why should these Cormorants and Raptors be culled.It is mans own fault ,he is providing the food for them.Place some nice juicy fish in the river,or fill the skies with a few succulent pigeons,but say to the Cormorants and Raptors,you may look but do not touch.Now man wants to hunt them down and kill them.
Our shops and foodstores are full of burgers and high fat foods,so is a cull to be called for by the Gov't on all obese people who are costing the Gov't money(via the NHS) as they have consumed these products.Lots of alcohol and tobacco related illnesses,costing a fortune,but would one call for these peoples lives to be exterminated.I think not.So why should the birds suffer.
Not a sensible comparison you may think,but in principle,not much different.The big difference is man can speak up for himself,these wild creatures cannot.

Cormorant cull, Ruddy Duck cull...perhaps it is time we stopped mucking around with nature. To think that the Ruddy Duck problem started with Sir. Peter Scott—how ironic! May be simplistic but I really do believe that we know not what we do.

Andrew-Bede Allsop

godwit said:
"I take words (and sentences, which is what I referred to) as they appear, you can't wriggle out of talking rubbish by pretending your comments weren't meant seriously.
Oh, you just can't help yourself, can you?

Lucky that I really ain't in the slightest bit worried about your opinion then - although you do seem happy to pass it on issues you know nothing about.

You really need a sense of humour.

Or perhaps I should apologise for not being anal enough to meet the required Godwit standard?
It does if it discourages me from even bothering to read the rest of the posting!
Good - it'll save my time and yours if you continue on that tack.

Last edited:
"Lucky then that I really ain't in the slightest bit worried about your opinion then"

My opinion has nothing to do with it, I was dealing in well established fact, until you can distinguish between opinion and fact you will continue to live in ignorance of what it and is not pertinent in this and any other debate.

"although you do seem happy to pass it on issues you know nothing about."

Can you give an example of anything I have said in this debate that is demonstrably incorrect? If you can I will withdraw it.

"You really need a sense of humour."

You don't know me and have no means of assessing my humour quotient, such misjudgement might indicate that you are suffering from sort sort of neurological disorder that fails to allow you to distinguish between what is and what is not deducable from the available evidence. Possible diagnosis: water on the brain - proposed treatment: a tap on the head.

"Good - it'll save my time and yours if you conintue on that tack."

How will it save you time if I don't read your posts?

Dave

Can anyone confirm that Ben Bradshaw, the minister responsible for loosening the laws on Cormorant controls with guns, claims to have been attacked outside his house by a Cormorant! This was apparently reported on Radio 4's PM programme which I unfortunately missed. If true it obviously doesn't inspire confidence in his grasp of the issues.

Dave

Yes I can confirm it Dave.....even the newsreader Eddie Meyer took the piss......

and boys, leave off the digs at Dave

he's one of the few people who has dealt with demonstrable facts in the Ruddy debate and the Cormorant debate too.....think he's a bit tired of dealing with 'opinion' and is too my mind anyway obviously well up to speed on the Ruddy issue

Tim - teacher and proud of it ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back