• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Government sanctions cormorant cull to appease anglers (2 Viewers)

Steve Lister said:
I am one of the relatively few birders that actually look at Cormorants, mainly at Rutland Water, and I know how to tell [sinensis and carbo apart. There were 640 Cormorants at RW yesterday, and most were carbo. Sinensis are very much in the minority, and are out-numbered by intergrades. To say that all inland Cormorants are sinensis is clearly wrong. There is evidence that new inland tree-nesting colonies are initially established by sinensis birds but the colonies quickly attract carbo birds. Sinensis is regarded as a more migratory race so they should be less numerous in winter.

Whether they originate in southern Germany I do not know.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Just to let the BF community know, Steve contacted me by PM to point this out as a correction and I happily acknowledge this. Clearly things have moved on from Stuart Piertney's research hence why I have left the relevant bits in Steve's post. The only thing that troubles me and I am sure Steve will be able to help us out - is there a change in the ratios at any time of the year? The only reaon this issue is important is through the contention that the birds are not adapted to inland environments. I am afraid this does not wash anyway because we could equally argue that blackcaps are not evolved to overwinter in the UK yet they have clearly adapted.

As it turns out, I understand where the anglers are coming from but I just feel that the raised quota allows people to ignore possible deterrents. Also, the quota is worryingly high and we could see an extinction event in just five years if the quotas are met (they probably won't be but what if...?).

Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back