• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GPO Passion HD (German Precision Optics) (2 Viewers)

My recent New purchase of the GPO HD 8x42 on Ebay for $425 was a fluke, made the seller an offer and they sold it to me. I found out from the seller that they were once a sales rep for GPO. Why they were willing to let it go at that price I did not ask. So which binocular would you purchase ? A New Fujinon 8x42 HC for $595 or a New GPO HD 8x42 for $425.
Thanks gcole, much appreciated, just goes to show ergonomics do play a vital role in glass choice.
No doubt, one example is the Meopta Meostar 8x32 . Many here have praised their optical view for being right up there with the best 32x glass you could buy for half the cost of the top European brands but their ergonomics did not fit them for one reason or another. I was one of only a handful here who loved the Meostar’s because they fit my facial features perfectly, from controlling glare to providing just the right amount of eye relief. Getting back to the topic of the Fujinon HC or GPO HD binoculars …. one member here thought the Fujinon’s would be to cold to hold In cold weather, while some thought the focus speed was to slow and they did not like their design. For me personally I loved the Fujinon HC design because they did not conform to the typical look that the GPO’s have. I also loved the really slow focus of the Fujinon when compared to the fast focus of the GPO HD. So in the end when my eyes can not discern a real big difference in the optical view between the two, then my priority’s are always the cost/build quality and which binocular worked best for me ergonomically.

Last edited:
No doubt, one example is the Meopta Meostar 8x32 . Many here have praised their optical view for being right up there with the best 32x glass you could buy for half the cost of the top European brands but their ergonomics did not fit them for one reason or another. I was one of only a handful here who loved the Meostar’s because they fit my facial features perfectly, from controlling glare to providing just the right amount of eye relief. Getting back to the topic of the Fujinon HC or GPO HD binoculars …. one member here thought the Fujinon’s would be to cold to hold In cold weather, while some thought the focus speed was to slow and they did not like their design. For me personally I loved the Fujinon HC design because they did not conform to the typical look that the GPO’s have. I also loved the really slow focus of the Fujinon when compared to the fast focus of the GPO HD. So in the end when my eyes can not discern a real big difference in the optical view between the two, then by priority’s are always the cost/build quality and which binocular worked best for me ergonomically.
I think you stated it well....I too loved the Meostar and still do. My wife uses it and it is her favorite above all others but the eye-cups are just not working for me, thus as you stated....each binocular has to fit your face. I know I love the 7x35 Retro from Leica as they fit my face, but many on this forum state that 'don't...so, the moral of the story is, don't trust what others say, but try on a pair. The GPO by the way is a good feeling pair of Bins as is the Monarch HG.....the Swaro CL is always good one..... anyhow, much out there so best of luck to any that are in the market.... jim

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back