• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GPO Passion HD (German Precision Optics) (1 Viewer)

That's exactly right Paul; companies do things differently these days. What matters is the quality of the product and especially the views.

Anyway, I'm very glad you like the Passion HD; they are phenomenal performers and offer great value for money, especially when you factor in the cost of getting the traditional "alphas". Indeed, I don't really subscribe to the alpha, beta.... etc school anymore. I've just seen too much to know different.

Indeed, I have been playing with one of their more economical Passion ED binos, i.e. the 10x 32. It could well become a goldilocks bino for my uses. Really excellent optics at an affordable price!

Season's Greetings,

Neil.

Regarding GPO Passion HD, lately I've been seeing a brand named "Geco" selling an extremely similar model, the "Gold". They show up every now and then in German classified ads. Have a look:
Yep. In UK we had Optics Warehouse selling off their stock of GECO binoculars back in June :

Birdforum member rdpx opted to purchase one of the cheaper Chinese assembled models but advised on this thread about the GECO Gold HD models being on sale (last post on thread) :
42mm models were £299 and 50mm models were £399 (with £100 off their 50mm demo models and £30 off the 42mm).

I subsequently saw a GECO Gold model for sale on Ebay and noted it had the words "Designed by GPO" printed around the eyecup.
Naturequest in the UK still have a few GECO models for sale albeit at higher prices (including a couple of GECO Gold HD 8x42s for £349).

You told me nothing that I didn't already know. You may wish to try again. I owned a Chicom GPO 2 years ago and wound up giving it to a kid new to hunting. I'm a fan of nothing Chicom, zero, nada. I also could give a ratzassss about anything Nikon.

These days I’m paying far less attention to and drawing fewer inferences from where an optics device is claimed to have been made. Feeling much better served by actually sampling a unit and directly comparing it to other optical devices of known quality.

IMO most purchasers of consumer products still hold on to a view of manufacturing as it existed in the late 20th century. Back then place of manufacture meant much more in terms of access to specialized engineering expertise, material supply chains, specialized components, etc - all of which were much more location dependent and required much more up-front capital investment. So, if it had a “Made in ________” that was clearly more indicative of the level of craftsmanship and materials quality, and the device was much more likely to be wholly made or majority sourced there. With more direct control over the entirety of the manufacturing process folks expected the highest quality from countries with a reputation for craftsmanship. Sold a few used optics in the past few years and the #1 question was “where was it made?”

That paradigm changed significantly in the past 1/4 century. Heck, Schott Optical starting manufacturing operations outside of Germany beginning in 1967, and today they make glass, blanks, prisms, etc in over 30 countries. So, that highly toughted Schott HT glass in someone’s favorite binocular may have just as likely come from a Schott plant in China or Indonesia as from Germany or Austria. A lot of specialized components, housings and assemblies are much more efficiently bought from OEMs than they are to manufacture, without the inherent risks or carrying costs. OEM manufacture is nothing new, but I do find it kind of amazing that folks never seem to question whether Japanese OEM binoculars with a “made in Japan” label are at least partially sourced from China, Malaysia, Philippines, etc. If it is more efficient, less expensive, similar quality, and legal it just makes fairly obvious business sense, and the ever increasing intensity of competition practically demands it. Our own insatiable desire for ever Increasing levels of optical performance at an even lower price is a huge driver.

So, I’m increasingly indifferent on where GPOs (or any other brand) are made. Whether or not I buy one will depend on how well they perform as an optical device and if I think they’re a good value.

BTW - bought an 8x32 ED for my wife. She has no idea where they are made but thoroughly enjoys them.

You told me nothing that I didn't already know. You may wish to try again. I owned a Chicom GPO 2 years ago and wound up giving it to a kid new to hunting. I'm a fan of nothing Chicom, zero, nada. I also could give a ratzassss about anything Nikon.
GPO HD line not made in chicom. Anthing below the HD line is Chicom. I was just using Zeiss and Nikon as an example, but I hear you. I try not to buy anything chicom. And that goes for crap at the department stores and large outlets. I look for alternatives everywhere. It really is not easy, we’re stuck in a situation (thank to moron Washington leadership) where even if something is not made in chicom, the raw materials came from there. Unfortunately the stuff coming from China is getting better and better every year, and soon many will not be able to compete . It’s not looking good for the future.

These days I’m paying far less attention to and drawing fewer inferences from where an optics device is claimed to have been made. Feeling much better served by actually sampling a unit and directly comparing it to other optical devices of known quality.

IMO most purchasers of consumer products still hold on to a view of manufacturing as it existed in the late 20th century. Back then place of manufacture meant much more in terms of access to specialized engineering expertise, material supply chains, specialized components, etc - all of which were much more location dependent and required much more up-front capital investment. So, if it had a “Made in ________” that was clearly more indicative of the level of craftsmanship and materials quality, and the device was much more likely to be wholly made or majority sourced there. With more direct control over the entirety of the manufacturing process folks expected the highest quality from countries with a reputation for craftsmanship. Sold a few used optics in the past few years and the #1 question was “where was it made?”

That paradigm changed significantly in the past 1/4 century. Heck, Schott Optical starting manufacturing operations outside of Germany beginning in 1967, and today they make glass, blanks, prisms, etc in over 30 countries. So, that highly toughted Schott HT glass in someone’s favorite binocular may have just as likely come from a Schott plant in China or Indonesia as from Germany or Austria. A lot of specialized components, housings and assemblies are much more efficiently bought from OEMs than they are to manufacture, without the inherent risks or carrying costs. OEM manufacture is nothing new, but I do find it kind of amazing that folks never seem to question whether Japanese OEM binoculars with a “made in Japan” label are at least partially sourced from China, Malaysia, Philippines, etc. If it is more efficient, less expensive, similar quality, and legal it just makes fairly obvious business sense, and the ever increasing intensity of competition practically demands it. Our own insatiable desire for ever Increasing levels of optical performance at an even lower price is a huge driver.

So, I’m increasingly indifferent on where GPOs (or any other brand) are made. Whether or not I buy one will depend on how well they perform as an optical device and if I think they’re a good value.

BTW - bought an 8x32 ED for my wife. She has no idea where they are made but thoroughly enjoys them.
Very well said and a good read. I agree 100% , today you almost can’t get away from buying something that says it made somewhere other than China and still have the few materials made from China. Things alike the metal, magnesium, plastics, and so on. It’s almost like it’s all the Materials and parts are made in China then shipped to another who puts it together and calls it made in they’re country. As you know we have a few knife makers or claim made in the USA.

As far as where something is made today, I to I’m not very choosy assuming it has the quality and options I’m looking for, as long as it don’t come from China. Im going to get in trouble here and I don’t care, but I don’t believe any american should be buying anything Chinese. I’m not as optimistic as some others that this China thing is going to blow over. This is a huge problem that is effecting the world today. History is looking like it’s repeating itself, 1930’s Germany.

Back to the topic of discussion, I tried a friends GPO ED 8x32, (he’s not buying China anymore either) I thought it was nice, good optics , classy build. It kind of looks like a mini HD but with different glass.

GPO HD line not made in chicom. Anthing below the HD line is Chicom. I was just using Zeiss and Nikon as an example, but I hear you. I try not to buy anything chicom. And that goes for crap at the department stores and large outlets. I look for alternatives everywhere. It really is not easy, we’re stuck in a situation (thank to moron Washington leadership) where even if something is not made in chicom, the raw materials came from there. Unfortunately the stuff coming from China is getting better and better every year, and soon many will not be able to compete . It’s not looking good for the future.
China has spent the last 20 years buying up metals or the rights too. While other nations, such as the US....have done little to support the infra-structure of developing countries, China has. Of course that loaning of money to build infra-structure etc comes at a premium to developing countries and that premium is 'metals'. China essentially owns the rights to many metals and thus, global corporations have to go thru China to obtain their natural resources to produce goods.

But once you have the metals and resources, it then does come down to not only 'production' but also 'quality control'. Given that, at this point in time, I would sooner purchase my optics thru Swaro, SF, Leica..... as I know they have relatively great quality control (better than the rest).

In regards to GPO..... I have always stated that their 'quality control' is a bit stretched out, and while it is 'in play' what constitutes 'quality TO control' is not the same as what equals that of Swaro or Leica. For instance, when I get a GPO binocular and there is and always has been 'play in the focus wheel' , that tells me where there 'quality' starts and stops at. Simply put, you get what you pay for. You might have quality control with someone looking at a pair of binoculars before it goes on the shelf, but the quality of the expected quality of the binocular itself will be less than if you pay more money for the binocular . A high priced binocular allows for better 'quality' of the binocular, and better overall quality control. You get what you pay for.

China has spent the last 20 years buying up metals or the rights too. While other nations, such as the US....have done little to support the infra-structure of developing countries, China has. Of course that loaning of money to build infra-structure etc comes at a premium to developing countries and that premium is 'metals'. China essentially owns the rights to many metals and thus, global corporations have to go thru China to obtain their natural resources to produce goods.

But once you have the metals and resources, it then does come down to not only 'production' but also 'quality control'. Given that, at this point in time, I would sooner purchase my optics thru Swaro, SF, Leica..... as I know they have relatively great quality control (better than the rest).

In regards to GPO..... I have always stated that their 'quality control' is a bit stretched out, and while it is 'in play' what constitutes 'quality TO control' is not the same as what equals that of Swaro or Leica. For instance, when I get a GPO binocular and there is and always has been 'play in the focus wheel' , that tells me where there 'quality' starts and stops at. Simply put, you get what you pay for. You might have quality control with someone looking at a pair of binoculars before it goes on the shelf, but the quality of the expected quality of the binocular itself will be less than if you pay more money for the binocular . A high priced binocular allows for better 'quality' of the binocular, and better overall quality control. You get what you pay for.
I’m not going to get to deep into a China conversation here on bird forum because it would dark real fast. They are on the top of the charts for evil in hour time, millions dead , families grieving, economies destroyed. And they take no responsibility, and blame other countries. I’ll leave it there.

I totally agree, you pay for what you get, no doubt. As far as quality control on GPO we are seeing some quality control issues even with the best of the best today from Zeiss, Swarovski and Leica. i’ve had four GPO’s‘s to review. 3 HD 42’s one had a sloppy focuser, but it was beat up to begin with. The other two, one of which I own GAS A superb focuser, as good as any Zeiss (maybe 2nd to my SF) and as good as my Swaro EL and right there with my NL. The GPO ED was another story, focuser had play and hinge was to loose.

Build quality Is right up there with some of the best at half or even a third the cost of the high end alphaS. Optics quality is as good as anything if not better in the thousand dollar price point. I switched from a 10 x 42 conquest to a 10x42 GPO.

I believe this company and their structure has a great deal of potential. If they can get they’re quality control to a point where most can agree and some more time on the market then I think prices will rise on these. All depends on how they manage the company and marketing. Not good if they’re allowing other companies to clone there products and sell it under a different name.

correction, two 42’s, one 10x50 (with issue beat up) and the ED.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I believe this company and their structure has a great deal of potential. If they can get they’re quality control to a point where most can agree and some more time on the market then I think prices will rise on these. All depends on how they manage the company and marketing. Not good if they’re allowing other companies to clone there products and sell it under a different name.
Hello Paul,

It will be very difficult for GPO to really win a market here in Europe.
Nikon, with its mid-range and high-priced binoculars, is hardly relevant in practice; Zeiss, Swarovski and Leica are very dominant here.
There are almost no contributions to the GPO in German forums, and I only became aware of them in the BF.

The American market could do better, the people there are IMO not so brand-related, the EDG are much more popular in the USA than here, hardly anyone uses such a glass.
Nikon makes the most money with the low-budget binoculars.
It will be a rocky road for GPO.

Andreas

GPO doesn't have any of their own products for "others to clone", they have them made at the same factories every other optics seller does. They have nothing new or innovative and if you spec'd their products on Bestbinocularreviews you'll find that there are many models of varying "makers" with the same specs.

GPO doesn't have any of their own products for "others to clone", they have them made at the same factories every other optics seller does. They have nothing new or innovative and if you spec'd their products on Bestbinocularreviews you'll find that there are many models of varying "makers" with the same specs.
I can’t speak of what factory they made in or where, but if you know please share. That would be interesting info. The specs, optics and coatings look real good, as good as any $1000 bino I have or looked through. IMHO build quality is better than any $1000 bino on the market. The alphas Could learn a thing or two about eye cups. Light transmission is good, CA well controlled, FOV almost same as conquest and EL. What’s not to like , unless of course there is brand snobbery or loyalty involved, then that’s a whole other conversation.

Thank you

Nikon makes the most money with the low-budget binoculars.
Think you are onto something there Andres.

Although I‘m a huge fan of the MHG, the vast majority of Nikons I see hanging on the necks of birders / park visitors are compact lower end models - low end Nikons are quite common here. Every once in a while I’ll see an MHG or Monarch 5/7 in the field; and every once in a great while, an EDG.

That’s really not surprising as their lower end models are heavily marketed in our more ”tourist“ type outdoor chain stores - REI, LLBean, Dicks, etc. The kinds of places a suburban family goes to buy gear before a weekend park-camping trip. You can order an M7 through REI, but I’ve never actually seen even that level of Nikon on display at any of the multiple stores in my area. Since the demise of the EDG I see them much less prominently displayed and sometimes not at all, in higher-end birding, hunting or optics specialty stores.

We did have a fantastic optics shop in my area and the owner was a huge - Nikon, Zeiss, Kowa and Swarovski fan. He always had top end Nikon products on display and his product / field knowledge was the stuff of legend. Sadly, he died a few years back - true tragedy in so many ways as he was simply a wonderful, kind and helpful man.

It seems all the optics companies have a different sales plan. The only optics sellers that I have around here are sellers like Scheel's
and Cabela's which do have a wide range, from most all the sellers. They promote Vortex heavily, and I think Vortex has to pay them for their own
showcase promotion, out front and noticeable. A Scheel's salesman told me they get a commission from Vortex in the form of
Vortex bucks, which they can use to purchase their products, so they naturally push those over some others. Companies like Nikon and Bushnell settle for the lower end market under $300.
Nikon does not even get the Monarch 7 or Monarch HG on their shelves at Scheels, and that is too bad. It is pay to play.
For those wondering, in grocery stores, companies have to pay the grocer for product placement on the shelf. Low payers are on the very
bottom or very top shelf, the payers are in the middle.

Jerry

The founders of German Precision Optics are Richard Schmidt, former president of Zeiss Sports Optics and Mike Jensen who worked at Zeiss for some years. Mike also has experience working for Swarovski. I had a GPO Passion HD 8x42 for review just after they became available. It is a solid binocular and will NOT be forced to hang its head in shame by nothing currently on the market. Nothing from a new company ever introduced to the market will ever achieve the panache and elite status enjoyed by Swarovski, Leica or Zeiss. That is simply a given and will remain in place despite how good a newcomer may be.

The GPO HD was very hard to find any fault with. Except for the fact (there is always something to be found in any binocular) that it could stand a wider fov. It is a solidly built, well balanced, bright, sharp and contrasty binocular.
Since the GPO HD 8 and 10x power came on this forums radar, we started looking for a pair of either power to purchase to give a quick look over. We were motivated by Steve and a few others here who took the time to give in detail reviews of this binocular brand. I thank them. We did not want to pay the full retail prices, mainly since I do not glass much anymore and I knew we would take a killing on resale. Now having said all this, I know there have been mixed opinions here about trusting anyone on Ebay when it comes to Optics, especially when seeing a price that seems to good to be true. On EBAY we recently saw such a listing . We took a chance and put in a offer and a few days ago a New boxed GPO HD 8x42 arrived at our doorstep. That’s right a New Boxed Pair ! Yesterday my significant other gave them the look over for about an hour. From the eye relief, to trying to see any CA or producing glare they passed with flying colors. She said they produced a crisp, rich in color tack sharp view. My part was to check their overall construction. These have a nice solid build, smooth moving eye cups that stay in place, a really nice quite/no play focus with just the right center hinge tension. When looking at them their appearance is nothing but high quality, having a very solid feel giving the impression these will punch well above their price point. The best part I left for last … we took a chance , believed the seller and received a New GPO HD 8x42 for $425. This time, if and when we sell these maybe we will break even.

gcole,

In general, how would these compare to the HC 8X42 Fujinon that you used to have?
Apples to cucumbers …. I mean this in a good way. Optically I think the majority of viewers would find the view thru either one not the deciding factor in making their decision to keep one or the other. I think at least for me personally, It would come down to the differences in how they look, feel/function in hand to their eye relief and weight not to mention the differences in price between the two if bought in the states. Since they are so close in price if bought at a retail price, I think the cost would only be the deciding factor if one got a screaming deal on one or the other. For instance in our case … From a Authorized retail dealer the new Fujinon HC 8x42 at discount cost us $595 plus tax. Being the lowest discounted price I have ever seen to date on a New Fujinon HC 8x42. The lowest discounted price on sale I have seen on the GPO HD 8x42 at any retail dealer has been $895 plus tax. This is a difference of savings of $300 by buying the Fujinon. I do not know about anyone else but when I was young trying to support a family, a savings of $300 was a weeks pay or as one might say ….. a screaming deal which would have me purchasing the Fujinon over the GPO. Now having said all this with me being in my 70’s, today if the Fujinon and GPO were the same price I would still buy the Fujinon over the GPO because the Fujinon for me physically was a better fit to my facial characteristics. Also I like the way it looks, their design is unique …. Very cool.

Last edited:
Apples to cucumbers …. I mean this in a good way. Optically I think the majority of viewers would find the view thru either one not the deciding factor in making their decision to keep one or the other. I think at least for me personally, It would come down to the differences in how they look, feel/function in hand to their eye relief and weight not to mention the differences in price between the two if bought in the states. Since they are so close in price if bought at a retail price, I think the cost would only be the deciding factor if one got a screaming deal on one or the other. For instance in our case … From a Authorized retail dealer the new Fujinon HC 8x42 at discount cost us $595 plus tax. Being the lowest discounted price I have ever seen to date on a New Fujinon HC 8x42. The lowest discounted price on sale I have seen on the GPO HD 8x42 at any retail dealer has been $895 plus tax.
My recent New purchase of the GPO HD 8x42 on Ebay for $425 was a fluke, made the seller an offer and they sold it to me. I found out from the seller that they were once a sales rep for GPO. Why they were willing to let it go at that price I did not ask. So which binocular would you purchase ? A New Fujinon 8x42 HC for $595 or a New GPO HD 8x42 for $895. Fujinon with a shorter no transferable warranty or the GPO having the lifetime no questions asked transferable warranty?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back