• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grand Canyon visit in January 2023 for Californian Condor (1 Viewer)

SueBryan

Hi All

I will be visiting the Grand Canyon at the end of January 2023 on my way to Hawaii for a couple of nights. Will it be possible to see Californian Condors from the south rim if I stay in the Grand Canyon village and walk for a short distance along the road that heads westwards?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Sue

While the condors are regularly reported in the South Rim, this tends to be between mid-February to late-October, it is possible to be lucky and connect with them outside of this period, but they are most often seen during this time.

If you are willing to make a nearly 3 hour drive to the Vermillion Cliffs, you are almost guaranteed to see these birds at any time of the year, but I'd say you have a decent chance for the Condors in the village or lookout points if you stick around one viewpoint long enough and see one fly by.

While the condors are regularly reported in the South Rim, this tends to be between mid-February to late-October, it is possible to be lucky and connect with them outside of this period, but they are most often seen during this time.

If you are willing to make a nearly 3 hour drive to the Vermillion Cliffs, you are almost guaranteed to see these birds at any time of the year, but I'd say you have a decent chance for the Condors in the village or lookout points if you stick around one viewpoint long enough and see one fly by.
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately we only have one whole day and two part days. Fortunately I have seen them before in the canyon but it was during the summer but my partner hasn't seen them and I was trying to guage what the chnces are of seeing them in the winter without gong too far. However I will make a note of where you recommend. Thanks Sue

Always worth looking at eBird just before your arrive and when you are there to see if there are recent sightings…

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back