• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grateful for identification help - West Yorkshire, England (1 Viewer)

dwj

Hi
I should be grateful for help identifying this bird that has been visiting our garden in West Yorkshire, England since early February. It is slightly larger than a robin. I just managed to obtain this rather poor photograph through our window, this morning, and feel very fortunate because we had not seen it for a few days. The image is heavily cropped.
It's not a bird I've seen before.

DSC_4633_Crop.JPG
Many thanks

Hi DWJ, your visitor is a Dunnock.
Hi
Thank you. Can dunnock colours vary so much? We are visited by many of those and they are consistently much darker. This bird is a real gingery brown, so much so that it appears prominently bright against foliage. It also has flashes of white in its tail feathers, which I think can just be made out in the image.

Hi
Thank you. Can dunnock colours vary so much? We are visited by many of those and they are consistently much darker. This bird is a real gingery brown, so much so that it appears prominently bright against foliage. It also has flashes of white in its tail feathers, which I think can just be made out in the image.

Assuming the colours in the photo are true to life then it is a gingery coloured dunnock. I think this colour aberration might the one called "brown" but I'm not sure. It seems to lack black/grey pigment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back