• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great or Medium Egret? (Vedanthangal, India) (1 Viewer)

Dear birdwatchers, I saw this egret at Vedanthangal bird sanctuary in Tamil Nadu, India, yesterday (Feb 25, 2024). I apologize for the poor picture, but maybe it's just enough to allow identification? I'm hesitating between Great Egret and Medium Egret. The size is difficult to estimate, but the short bill and straight neck make me think Medium Egret. Any insights would be appreciated!

Attachments

• Egret.JPG
    Egret.JPG
    389.4 KB · Views: 46
Welcome to BF.
I rather think the bill-depth and bill/forehead-shape are good for great egret, though the photo-quality is too low (no offence) to judge bill-length or to differentiate the gape-pattern from intermediate egret. Pass.

After doing a google search I couldn't reallly tell but I would lilke to wish you a warm welcome from the members of BirdForum.. We're glad you joined us :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back