• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Spotted Woodpecker! (1 Viewer)

Ptarmi

Dick Glasgow
I had another one of those Magic Birding moments today! 😎

The weather this afternoon was overcast & rather dreary with light rain, but anyway I headed off towards dusk, to my local wood, near Armoy, North Antrim with my team of dogs, but only took a Macro lens, as I didn't really expect to see much.

As expected, I only saw one Chaffinch & heard the usual Raven & a pair of Jays ... then suddenly a Great Spotted Woodpecker flew out in front of me, landing at the top of a single tree.

This was the first time I'd actually seen this species over here, in Northern Ireland & even although my blurry photo isn't very detailed, thankfully it's enough to identify the bird. 😍

Cheers,
Dick

Attachments

• great.spotted.woodpecker.breen.jpg
    great.spotted.woodpecker.breen.jpg
    663.4 KB · Views: 24
Always nice to see people excited about birds that occasionally appear outside of my home window :) GSP is probably the least frequent visitor from all the species we ever had here in our "minigarden" of one tree to be honest. Remembering my visit to Ireland, I quite get how it is rare - most of the island was pretty treeless (even though I have seen some larger tracts of land south of Dublin if I remember correctly). On the other hand, you have a plenty of spectacular sea species that we can only dream about.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back