• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great spotted woodpecker (1 Viewer)

stedwomas

United Kingdom
I filmed had a great spotted woodpecker visit abour 3 weeks ago and it had a red rump. Today I filmed one and it had no red rump. I tried looking up whether it was a juvenile but no success - any ideas

steve

Welcome to BF.
More directly... I think the suggestion above is that you may have mistakenly thought you were looking at a red rump when in fact the red was on the undertail-coverts/vent/lower belly.

THe red - well it was a pinky red was on the under-tail of the one from 3 weeks ago , but the one that came today had no red on the undertail whatsoever

Hi Steve and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Yes, all the Great Spotted Woodpeckers have red under the tail. I wonder if you get Lesser Spotted Woodpecker in your area (they're much rarer, very small and much more spotty).

Here are links to our Opus articles: Great Spotted Woodpecker and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker for you to be able to compare.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Both of your birds are Great Spotted Woodpeckers. The intensity of the red on the vent area does vary, but I think here it is largely a feature of the angle of filming...the angle of today's bird essentially hides where the red would be.
thanks Jos - i will try and get a better quality film

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back