• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great tit (1 Viewer)

suzy31

United Kingdom
Hi, I have a nest box with a camera, so I'm able to watch the coming and going of the Great tit nesting in the box. She's laid 9 eggs. but she doesn't have a partner. She's been incubating the eggs for around 12 days now, but she leaves the nest quite regularly I expect to feed, normally she gone for only a few minutes, but occasionally it is longer than 30 minutes, in the first few days she left the nest for 3 hours because scaffolding was being taken next door. So I'm concerned firstly the eggs will probably not hatch because she leaves them for to long, (I have read they can be left for 30mins) and secondly if they hatch what are the chances she could rear the chicks on her own.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

We had a lone parent incubate and care for the eggs in our blue tit nest box three years ago, and she managed to raise six out of a clutch of ten eggs.

Hi suzy and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. The odds are against her raising this family but you could try helping her by leaving some mealworms nearby (not too close to the nest though, as other birds will likely want them too and she could consider them a threat). Wishing you both luck!

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Suzy!

This all looks normal to me. The birds sometimes leave the nest for quite long periods of time to feed. I wouldn't be too worried. Are you sure there is no partner? They aren't always super dedicated feeding the female on the nest. In any case, the eggs should start hatching in the next couple of days. If there is no partner, fewer chicks will survive, but most likely at least some of them will fledge.

Keep us posted!

Welcome aboard Suzy and I my fingers are crossed that this works out for the Great Tit and the youngsters.

All 9 eggs hatched, Unfortunately, 2 died after a few days.
7 fledged nearly 3 weeks ago.
I think that was quite success.
It was lovely to watch, from the female building the nest, though to the chicks fledging.
My concerns at first with the parents were totally unnecessary, they were brilliant parents, so attentive.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230617_235219_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230617_235219_Gallery.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back