• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greater/Lesser Scaup Waterloo, Ontario? (1 Viewer)

chipster454

This is only the second time I've seen Scaup, and I'm not too confident identifying. From what I understand, the difference is in the shape of the head? The Greater Scaup has a rounder head apparently? Also the Lesser Scaup is more common. So with that in mind, I'm thinking these are Lesser Scaup. Just thought I'd post on here to get a more solid confirmation. Thanks in advance. (Sorry about picture quality...It was raining)

Attachments

• IMG_8371.JPG
    IMG_8371.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8367.JPG
    IMG_8367.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8370.JPG
    IMG_8370.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_8373.JPG
    IMG_8373.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 51
I don't think it is a rear peak (which, when present, looks more like an angle than, as here, a tuft). The overall shape of the rear of the head is sloped like greater scaup, and the forehead is near-vertical, like greater scaup.
For some reason that I can never get my head round (and I don't just mean the relative rarity cf. lesser scaup), it seems easier to be certain about the ID of a greater scaup in Europe than it is in N America - so I'm staying cautiously away from saying what this bird is.

This is only the second time I've seen Scaup, and I'm not too confident...
Good luck! - cos you'll need it. Separating scaup in N America is a minefield. and my personal view (I have to emphasize that or people get upset - in fact they get upset anyway) is that anyone claiming to be consistently confident in their IDs of these two species is being unwise.

I agree with the others that the main focal bird is lesser. Just to note that the right hand bird in the last photo might be greater. It seems a little larger to me, and there's no indication of that head tuft. However, I don't think we can definitely id it on this view.

Lesser Scaup for me too. The peak/angle at the rear of the head can vary from looking crest-like to an almost right-angled corner according to posture, moult and/or indeed if the head is wet. The American nearctica sub-species of Greater Scaup has a different head shape from nominate marila which we get in Europe and has more of a forehead bump with the peak of the crown in front of the eye and more of an angle between the crown and the nape than marila but not as angular as a Lesser Scaup. Also nearctica has heavier vermiculations than marila and so does present more of a challenge to identify. That being said I don't think nearctica can show such an angle at the rear of the head and the bill pattern rules out most hybrid combinations.

The head shape of Ring-necked Duck varies in a similar manner due to the same factors as mentioned above and can cause fun and games - particularly in moulting birds in autumn/winter in Britain when hybrids resembling Ring-necked Duck need to be eliminated in Europe.

Cheers

Roy

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back