• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greetings from the Goldfinches, the state bird of New Jersey! (1 Viewer)

robrecht

United States
Greetings, everyone. I moved into a new house in Central New Jersey last year and started setting up my bird-feeding station outside a picture window to my backyard in January. I’ve fitted this first pole with 5 natural branches and four artificial branches to hold more feeders (8 in total) and to give plenty of places for all of the birds to perch.

We've seen 18 species so far in the first month, but once I started using a combination of fresh Nyjer seed and fine sunflower hearts in a mesh feeder and another tube feeder with tiny holes and a spiral perch ring, the number of Goldfinches (our state bird) exploded. During peak feeding times we’ve counted 35+ Goldfinches at a time. I also set up a brush pile with various kinds of food for ground-feeding birds and squirrels. Here’s a video of my current pole setup as well as a quick overview of some of the other bird friendly parts of my yard:

As it gets a little warmer, I have lots more feeders and bird houses to set up. I'm really hoping for some Eastern Bluebirds, Orioles, and Hummingbirds. Might be a little too wooded for Bluebirds here, but the Hummingbirds are already attracted to some of the flowering plants here.

Hope to learn lots of good stuff from you all!

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Hi robrecht and a warm welcome from me too. My goodness what a wonderful set up you have there.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hi, welcome to the forum. That is some setup you have there! I’m sure the fun of seeing them all feeding is amazing.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back