• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold’s Vacations 2023 (2 Viewers)

Went over to the Furnicular Railway but was told dogs weren’t allowed. I’m sure he’s been up there before?? So the OH and the boys went up and I walked the boy. Not easy going at all. Decided to head back down when the path was covered in snow and more snow was coming down.

See they've not changed the rules from when we were there back in 2014 - no dogs on the way up but you can come back down on the railway with dogs - seems a strange rule.

My missus still hasn't forgiven me for having to walk up with the dogs :)

See they've not changed the rules from when we were there back in 2014 - no dogs on the way up but you can come back down on the railway with dogs - seems a strange rule.

My missus still hasn't forgiven me for having to walk up with the dogs :)
Cheers Rich. Could have sworn he’d been up before but perhaps it was our Labrador.

As it happens he wouldn’t have liked packed out anyway.

Rich

So we arrived in Somerset yesterday evening. Cottage is beautiful. Just outside Winsham in South Somerset. Traffic was predictable for a B/holiday weekend.

Got up fairly early today and headed down to Dorset with my eldest. A very leisurely day ended with 66 species. The Tern turned up at Brownsea again but as we had Bud with us that was a no go.

We had some decent birds though from Lodmoor, Arne and Portland. Highlights included my first Swift of the year outside the curry house in Chard. 1st Reed Warbler at Lodmoor, Little Terns at Chesil and a Ring Ouzel on Portland.

A pretty decent curry from Chard and we picked up some cider and apple cake, cheese, scrumpy and chutney from a little shop on the way home. Happy days.

From the cottage we’ve had Roe Deer, Grey Wagtails, Blackcaps and Dippers.

Attachments

• 173A2C15-CA84-45BE-B884-025FE9075855.jpeg
    173A2C15-CA84-45BE-B884-025FE9075855.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Quiet day today. Headed down to Aylesbeare Common. Year ticked Tree Pipit but no Dartfords. Bumped into another birder who had a couple of stunning Nova Scotian Duck Tolling Retrievers. Lovely girls.

Next it was down to Labrador Bay. Again quiet. After a bit of searching though we managed a stunning male Cirl Bunting.

Back to the cottage now for a barbecue, and cider and apple cake with clotted cream.

Quiet day today. Headed down to Aylesbeare Common. Year ticked Tree Pipit but no Dartfords. Bumped into another birder who had a couple of stunning Nova Scotian Duck Tolling Retrievers. Lovely girls.

Next it was down to Labrador Bay. Again quiet. After a bit of searching though we managed a stunning male Cirl Bunting.

Back to the cottage now for a barbecue, and cider and apple cake with clotted cream.

I’m sure the weather plays a part but did my 3rd visit to aylesbeare and turning right from the 1st crossroad was amazing. Previous 2 visits was a dip and a distant view

I’m sure the weather plays a part but did my 3rd visit to aylesbeare and turning right from the 1st crossroad was amazing. Previous 2 visits was a dip and a distant view
I think the weather was the issue this morning Owen. Really not warm when we arrived.

Came back via Ham Wall today. Traffic was surprisingly fine.

Got very lucky at the reserve. Sars took the boys and hound to The Railway Inn for a drink whilst I looked for the big Warbler. It sang away pretty much constantly. And then just as Sars messaged me to call time it showed itself. Great Reed Warbler in the bag. Chuffed.

As usual a great supporting cast at Ham Wall. Heaps of Warblers everywhere. A couple of Hobbys went over along with Marsh Harriers. Heard a couple of Bitterns as well.

A very enjoyable short break to Somerset.

Took a peak at the cottage, looks stunning. (And in the US it would cost at least double that - unfortunately leaving most of us normal folks out.)

Aylesbeare would be next on my list of places to stop off at when we do the run down to Plymouth Uni. Already got Cirls by doing quick stop-offs, so a Dartford would be very welcome :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back