• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guess the bird ... by it's alternative name (2 Viewers)

1. Great White Plunger
2. Seashore Highwayman
3. Rosy Hedge-flasher
5. Sepia Bullybird
4. Black Dancer
6. Cinnamon-winged Songster
7. Black-headed Scrub Songster
8. Masked Songster
9. Superb River-Jewel

All UK/Europe (well one a rare vagrant to the UK)

To give others a chance, feel free to use the
spoiler
option (3 vertical dots in the editing taskbar, followed by the 3rd icon (eye with line through it)) if posting up soon, or say how many/which ones you have (some/most should be easy).

Last edited:
Breaking the rules already (no patronyms)

B'loody Bunting ...

(Hope it's not too obscure)
No-one has got this one yet. Maybe far too cryptic. I'll post it up tomorrow, unless anyone has a little black book to hand in the meantime ...

Ok, time for the (... drumroll ... ) Big Reveal -

Reed Bunting.

Obviously being far too cryptic (although to be fair it is a fairly cryptic species). One of Bill Oddie's (Bloody, gettit? ;-) ) claims to fame was finding a Pallas's Reed Bunting (mega rare vagrant to UK). Unfortunately, time (and highly critical birder types) haven't been kind to the record and perhaps Reed Bunting wasn't ruled out.

So Bill Oddie's Bunting was perhaps a Reed Bunting.

Apologies.

Oh, and fire away on any of the birds in #45 above of course.

Last edited:
One of my kids first expressions was ‘bloddy birdwatcher’, I’d forgotten the Pallas’RB from the Little Black Birdbook. I’m pretty sure I’ve guessed 1,6,7,8,9. Number 2 is really seashore or rather offshore Dan?

One of my kids first expressions was ‘bloddy birdwatcher’, I’d forgotten the Pallas’RB from the Little Black Birdbook. I’m pretty sure I’ve guessed 1,6,7,8,9. Number 2 is really seashore or rather offshore Dan?
Seashore.

Feel free to post up what you've got ...

1. Great White Plunger = Gannet
2. Seashore Highwayman = Ringed Plover
3. Rosy Hedge-flasher =
4. Sepia Bullybird =
5. Black Dancer =
6. Cinnamon-winged Songster = Common Whitethroat
7. Black-headed Scrub Songster = Sardinian Warbler (that's the rare vagrant out the way)
8. Masked Songster = Lesser Whitethroat
9. Superb River-Jewel = Kingfisher

Seashore Highwayman - based on appearance, not behaviour

Last edited:
1. Great White Plunger = Gannet
2. Seashore Highwayman =
3. Rosy Hedge-flasher =
4. Sepia Bullybird =
5. Black Dancer =
6. Cinnamon-winged Songster = Common Whitethroat
7. Black-headed Scrub Songster = Sardinian Warbler (that's the rare vagrant out the way)
8. Masked Songster = Lesser Whitethroat
9. Superb River-Jewel = Kingfisher

Seashore Highwayman - based on appearance, not behaviour
Of course, Ringed Plover with its Dick Turpin mask!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back