• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guess who showed up at my feeder this morning? (3 Viewers)

Katy Penland said:
Are Baltimores the only orioles who *are* attracted to oranges? Anybody know?

Many species of Orioles (if not all) will occasionally eat oranges if given the chance. Of course some species seems more prone to do so than others...

I have seen Altamira and Audubon's Orioles coming to oranges in Texas. I have also seen Scott's and Hooded Orioles feeding on orange halfs in southeastern Arizona. I just have never seen Orchard Orioles coming to oranges (that does not mean that they do not, I have just never seen it).

I'll try putting the oranges farther from the house, see if that will be more comfortable for the Bullock's. Maybe they just don't like Mogollon Rim oranges. :) I'd prefer to offer all the birds natural stuff rather than the sugar-based "nectar" (even if I do make it myself, it's still refined sugar), but it's so dry here, to plant "hummer friendly" flowers and keep them watered properly would cost a small fortune. And sadly, the bulk of our wildflowers bloom in the fall after the late summer rains, not when they'd do the hummers the most good. :-(

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back