• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID, Dundee, Scotland 16/7/23 (2 Viewers)

Stonefaction

Dundee Birding....(target 150 in 2024).
Scotland
I photographed this gull in a group of Herring and Lesser Black Backed Gulls at Dundee harbour, here in Scotland, today (Sunday 16/7/23) - left hand bird in the first pic. The marginally smaller size, dark looking legs, high set small dark eye, slightly paler back and the slightly elongated shape made it stand out as looking a bit 'different'. The legs and back shades may be as a result of angle/lighting. As is usually the case with the 'odd' gulls I find it will probably be a Herring Gull and I'm struggling to make anything come close to 'fitting', though there appears to be a very slight chance of it being a female Caspian Gull. I'd appreciate any help in firming up a definite ID for the bird. I've posted a few group shots which show just how different it appears. Unfortunately I don't have any flight shots, or better quality pics.

Attachments

• S7160613 (2).jpg
    S7160613 (2).jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 40
  • S7160613.jpg
    S7160613.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • S7160614.jpg
    S7160614.jpg
    929.6 KB · Views: 32
  • S7160615.jpg
    S7160615.jpg
    614.3 KB · Views: 38
Hello,

I agree with you, it looks good for an immature (4 cy or 3cy?) Caspian Gull.

Is Caspian Gull that rare, that you need to exclude hybrids or indication of Herring Gull (or Yellow legged Gull) in its ancestry?
Yes, please wait for confirmation or correction (thanks from me too!) but I am quite confident, after that I am happy to congretulate you to finding a good bird!

Hello,

I agree with you, it looks good for an immature (4 cy or 3cy?) Caspian Gull.

Is Caspian Gull that rare, that you need to exclude hybrids or indication of Herring Gull (or Yellow legged Gull) in its ancestry?
Yes, please wait for confirmation or correction (thanks from me too!) but I am quite confident, after that I am happy to congretulate you to finding a good bird!
Thanks, Alexander. I'd be quite happy for it to be a Caspian Gull...as would many other local birders (assuming it can be found again), if it turns out to be confirmed as one.

Caspian Gull is very rare still in Scotland, though sightings are becoming more regular (though still low single figures) in Lothian/Borders etc. I've only ever seen one (a 2cy bird) but I do check through gulls regularly in the hope of finding one - even if I've only got a 'mental image' formed from books/online photos etc.

As traffic through here is very low, I might post it in the ID section for further opinions.

Alexander, just to let you know.....nobody on here other than yourself was willing to offer an opinion on this gull, but I did manage to get an opinion from the finder of the one Caspian Gull I've seen. For a variety of reasons including the paler back he says Herring Gull for this one. All goes towards my learning what to look for though, and hopefully I'll eventually find a Caspian or Yellow Legged Gull locally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back