• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID help, please, Eastern Ontario, Canada (1 Viewer)

Tom Lusk

I came across a large flock of gulls in a grain field this afternoon, and gulls have always been an ID nightmare for me.
Add in different stages of maturity and I'm beat before I start!
They were 150m from the road, so major crops.
All help appreciated

Attachments

• GULLS CROP.jpg
    GULLS CROP.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 57
  • GULLS CROP 3.jpg
    GULLS CROP 3.jpg
    427.1 KB · Views: 56
  • GULLS CROP 4.jpg
    GULLS CROP 4.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 53
The silver-winged ones are pretty easy: those are adult Herring gulls. (Possibly a Thayer's hiding among them, but those are less common. I can see the eye color on some and they look yellow => Herring.)
The black-winged one is... a black-backed gull. Pink legs => Great Black-Backed, not Lesser. (Lesser is also scarcer.)
That leaves the immature gulls. Strong salt-and-pepper wing pattern says first-winter black-backed. Odds would favor Great Black-backed but I'm not sure. Not sure we should trust the photo enough to say the bill is uniformly dark, but if it is, that's better for Lesser Black-backed. Somebody else may have an opinion based on the bird's size or bulkiness, I won't venture to try.

Hi. Agree with, Herring and adult GBbG - for reasons already mentioned. The 1st winter gull, with the very marbled/mottled appearance and large robust bill, I'd say a GBbG? ...... but I'm in no way a gull expert!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back