• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large Gull-Central Spain (1 Viewer)

fdokykcu

This gull was among a large flock of mostly adults Lesser Black-Backed Gulls yesterday 6th december, at a wetland in Cuenca (Central Spain). At first I thought it could be a 2cy (bicoloured bill) Yellow-Legged or even a (quite sparse here) Herring Gull, due to its light background colour & extension of white in the tertials points. But the small number of moulted scapulars, which seem to be the same shade as the adults, may suit better a younger individual (1cy). I have no more photos and unfortunately part of the upperwing is hidden. So I am still a bit puzzled with it. Could it be a light patterned 1 cy LBBG, explaining in this way the small number of 2nd generation scapulars ? Although Olsen guide shows darker individuals, there is one in gull.org that seems similar (Lesser Black-backed Gull - graellsii & intermedius). Also the structure of the wings (long) seem similar to the adults around. I would appreciate further comments on age and ID

Attachments

• gaviota_1.png
    gaviota_1.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 43
  • gaviota_2.png
    gaviota_2.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 43
  • gaviota_3.png
    gaviota_3.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:
it's actually a 2nd cycle (2cy in this case) LBBG. It has very long wings and scaps are mostly 2nd generation (not 1st), a few might be 3rd generation, the few darker ones. Pale iris, pale bill base and pattern of coverts and tertials exclude a 1st cycle (of course a few YLG can look this advanced in 1st winter but this one isn't one). Note long wings lacking pale tips and weak bill.

it's actually a 2nd cycle (2cy in this case) LBBG. It has very long wings and scaps are mostly 2nd generation (not 1st), a few might be 3rd generation, the few darker ones. Pale iris, pale bill base and pattern of coverts and tertials exclude a 1st cycle (of course a few YLG can look this advanced in 1st winter but this one isn't one). Note long wings lacking pale tips and weak bill.
Thanks for this focal points, Lou

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back