• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull-Long time ago_ February 2012, Texel , Netherlands (1 Viewer)

Joern Lehmhus

I had considered this adult bird to be a Caspian gull at that time - but given experiences in Germany in recent years and also several threads at BF here , I wonder if that was correct and if a hybrid could savely be excluded ...
I didnt get any photos as the bird always seemed to avoid getting too close to humans - but I managed a drawing allthough my fingers nearly fell off (very cold snowy conditions). The bird appeared much more slender and longlegged than the herring gulls though of similar size , larger than the also present single Iceland gull. It was darker eyed than the Herring gulls and appeared rather longwinged. I think the wing pattern fits to Caspian gull, but I am no expert here...
It opened and raised its wings when threatening other gulls and calling.

Attachments

• 10feb2012 presumed caspian.jpg
    10feb2012 presumed caspian.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 46
you can safely assume it was a Caspian Gull, Jörn. i know your drawings are accurate. Such long tongues to outer primaries together with bill structure (female type if drawn correctly) and long tibia are pretty decisive. Of course F2 and so on hybrids hardly can be excluded as they ofte look like one of the parent species but hybridization was only going on in Poland at that time, just a few in Saxonia and none in Holland.

Thanks Lou, that is good to know ....
However I assumed that a Caspian gull in a harsh winter in the Netherlands at that time must have been coming from the east, so Poland as origin was a possibility? Therefore I had my doubts later on , and when I just today went through the old trip records today I thought to post it ...

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back