• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull, Redbridge(Hants),UK, 17.03.22 (2 Viewers)

pdwinter

Paul Winter
I struggled with this dark mantled gull, because it has lost the lower part of one leg and was in rather poor condition. My thought was it was probably a Lesser Black-backed Larus fuscus graellsii but wondered if the wing pattern was OK for that species. Apologies for the poor quality photo / video.

TIA
Paul

Attachments

• Gull_std_short.mp4
    8.5 MB
  • SX60_7918-4.jpg
    SX60_7918-4.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 43
  • SX60_7918-3.jpg
    SX60_7918-3.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 43
  • SX60_7918-2.jpg
    SX60_7918-2.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 40
  • SX60_7918-1.jpg
    SX60_7918-1.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 44
Hello Paul,
I share your reservation to ID this bird as a LBBG:
  • the white mirror seems too large for a LBBG and there seems only a weak=narrow black tip. Therefore the wingtip seems white
  • more, the amount of black on p8 seems too small, at least for many LBBG
  • legs seems greyish-pink, but the poor state of the bird must surely be considered here.
  • the bird lacks dark primaries and secondaries on the underwing.
But what is it?
A Herring Gull, a YLG, or an Herring x LBBG hybrid. I cant answer that with confidence, and therefore hoped for others to comment on this bird. But as no one has commented yet, I give it a try:
it doesnt look good for a YLG for me:
  • mantle seems very dark indeed, slightly too dark for a YLG
  • I think the deep red eye-ring should be visible
  • I would hope for more black in the wing=makes this an IDable YLG for my level of experience
  • leg colour seems wrong, but please note the caveat above
Therefore I would put my money (but not too much) on a Herring Gull or a Herring x LBBG hybrid. But I hope for others to jump in! And thanks to Lou and the other experts again: northern HG can be very dark mantled.

More: is there a 4cy Caspian Gull preening on the right? It seems quite pale-matled, but it stands in a different direction towards the photographer as the other Gulls. And the head-bill profile together with a small, dark eye seems ok imo.

Thank you Alexander.

If it had been less windy I think I might have got a few better photos which might have helped!

More: is there a 4cy Caspian Gull preening on the right? It seems quite pale-matled, but it stands in a different direction towards the photographer as the other Gulls. And the head-bill profile together with a small, dark eye seems ok imo.
I didn't notice a Caspian Gull when I was in the field ... but I was concentrating on getting a video of the dark bird and not looking through my binoculars / telescope I'm afraid.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back