• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull sp. Kent, U.k. (1 Viewer)

magpiemick

Hello all,

Could all you experts please take a look at this bird, your thoughts are welcomed ..

Thanks

Mick ..

Attachments

• 2013 09 01_0244.JPG
    2013 09 01_0244.JPG
    427.8 KB · Views: 167
  • 2013 09 01_0165.JPG
    2013 09 01_0165.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 104
I believe this to be a 1st Winter YLG, a contrasty white head, long legged, with suggestion of a ''faint window'' on the inner hand (unlike graellsii), all black bill with a pronounced gony. Compare Images of 1st Winter YLG taken last week lake Geneva.

Cheers

Attachments

• Geneva Gull No.2 Aug.'13.jpg
    Geneva Gull No.2 Aug.'13.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Gull sp..jpg
    Gull sp..jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 42
I had settled for YLG after ruling out the possibility of Caspian, with that tail pattern ..

Then a more experience observer said it was Argentatus !!
Due mainly to the greater covert pattern ...

So then just needed some more people to view the bird ..

Regards

Mick ..

hi mick,

i didn't post here because for me the ID as YLG seemed settled and i agree on the ID;
GC-pattern indeed looks quite herring gull like but some michs do show it. especially the not diffuse/not dark outer GCs look similar to those of argentatus. but we don't see the outermost ones which could well be darker. and GC pattern is one of the more variable characters. what also resembles a bit with HG is the scaled scap pattern.

still, there are too many pro michahellis features: tail pattern is typical, inner primary pattern (venetian blind, not all pale like in most HGs), whitish head with dark eye smudge, long legs and, most important: it has some 2nd generation coverts which (almost) excludes any of the northern taxa like HG.

best,

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back