• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gulls again ... (1 Viewer)

Scozmos

United Kingdom
HI all, I was walking up by Fort George on the Moray Firth in N Scotland at the weekend and grabbed some juvenile gull shots and spent today poring over IDs on the internet. Could I ask for confirmation, or not, please of these shots of different young birds?
20230908 - Juvenile gull passing by.jpg 20230908 - Young gull flyby.jpg 20230908 - Young Herring gulls on the beach.jpg
I think they're all Herring Gulls at different stages?

I moved on to two long shots of a tern in the Moray Firth and can't figure out whether they are young Common or another species?
20230908 - Tern in mid channel.jpg 20230908 - Young Tern in mid channel.jpg
Thanks for all responses.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, I think all your gulls are indeed Herring Gulls (there's nothing there that would have me pondering whether or not they were something else at least - all of 'those' so far that I've found have been Herring Gulls too!).

Hello,
I agree with Stonefaction. They all look like Hering Gull to me.
The first seems a 2cy bird imo,
The second a 3cy bird (pale grey inner primaries and black outer ones without an adult pattern)
The two last ones are juvenile=1cy=1st cycle imo. Please note neat solid centered juvenile scapulars and compare the barring to the greater coverts to the wavy pattern there of your first bird.

If this is right than it's a big thank you to all here (see the recent correction from Steve for example) and the well known Gull ID books

Users who are viewing this thread

Back