• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young bird debate (1 Viewer)

Scozmos

United Kingdom
Hi all, I grabbed a few quick shots of a wee bird over the weekend and it was only when I got them on the 'pooter that I realised I wasn't sure what it is so, I posted to a couple of FB groups, which set off a bit of a debate.
What do you think? What is it?
After some research, I was thinking a young Goldcrest but .......... over to you ;)
Taken near Fort George, Ardersier, a favourite area of mine to stroll with a camera.

Attachments

• Unknown side and face - crop - Ardersier.jpg
    Unknown side and face - crop - Ardersier.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
  • Unknown face and side - crop - Ardersier.jpg
    Unknown face and side - crop - Ardersier.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 32
  • Unknown - Ardersier.jpg
    Unknown - Ardersier.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 32
  • Unknown side- Ardersier.jpg
    Unknown side- Ardersier.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 32
Hello,
welcome to birdforum!

I dont know, what species are discussed, but your bird is either a Chiffchaff or a Willow Warbler.

I assume, (Western) Bonellis Warbler is already exluded by contrasting dark grey head and patchy distributed bits of citrine yellow on underparts (different hues and smoother distribution, if present in Western BW. But always? Dont know, but its true for at least many Western BW).

Its easy to say, its a Chiffchaff by black legs and short pp, but there are many threads here on BF, where it is evident, that seperation of young birds often isnt easy (thanks again!). But excellent picture quality makes assesment of emargination possible: its a Chiffchaff imo.

Hello,
welcome to birdforum!

I dont know, what species are discussed, but your bird is either a Chiffchaff or a Willow Warbler.

I assume, (Western) Bonellis Warbler is already exluded by contrasting dark grey head and patchy distributed bits of citrine yellow on underparts (different hues and smoother distribution, if present in Western BW. But always? Dont know, but its true for at least many Western BW).

Its easy to say, its a Chiffchaff by black legs and short pp, but there are many threads here on BF, where it is evident, that seperation of young birds often isnt easy (thanks again!). But excellent picture quality makes assesment of emargination possible: its a Chiffchaff imo.
Thank you Alexander, I think the head colour and eye markings confused me but I think you're right, Chiffchaff (y)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back